How Jon Helps Clients
Jon is an experienced litigator specializing in commercial, antitrust, administrative, complex civil litigation, consumer protection, class actions and appeals. He has represented and counseled clients in a wide range of industries, with a particular expertise in pharmaceuticals and life sciences. Jon has extensive experience in federal and state antitrust and consumer protection, and provides clients with strategic counseling and insight to mitigate issues before they develop into potential liabilities.
Jon also maintains an active pro bono practice, with a significant focus on voting rights litigation and representing unaccompanied immigrant children in state and federal court. He was named as Kids In Need of Defense’s (KIND) Pro Bono Attorney of the Month in January 2012. He has also served as counsel to the League of Women Voters in several high-profile voting rights litigations.
He was recently recognized by The Legal 500 United States in the category of Dispute Resolution: Appellate.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Jon was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP where he represented numerous life sciences industry clients in high-stakes multi-district antitrust litigation. Jon began his career as a law clerk to Judge Julia Smith Gibbons of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and Magistrate Judge Alan Kay of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients look to Jon for creative and strategic legal thinking and proactive mitigation of risks and costs relating to potential or active litigation. Clients commend Jon’s ability to conceive novel solutions to intractable problems and to see around corners to strategic issues on the horizon.
Outside the Office
In his free time, Jon enjoys travel and getting out into nature, usually hiking with his family with one of his two sons perched in his backpack.
- Lead Counsel for Teva Pharmaceuticals defending nationwide antitrust class action brought by direct and indirect purchasers of the drug Effexor® (venlafaxine) challenging the so-called "reverse payment" settlement of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation.
- Lead Counsel for Ranbaxy defending nationwide antitrust class action brought by direct and indirect purchasers of the drug Lipitor® (atorvastatin) challenging the so-called "reverse payment" settlement of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation.
- Counsel for the Association for Accessible Medicines in successful constitutional challenge to Maryland state drug pricing law. Maryland law against price-gouging by drug companies is unconstitutional, appeals court rules, The Baltimore Sun, April 13, 2018.
- Counsel for the Association of Accessible Medicines in constitutional challenge to New York state drug pricing law.
- Counsel for Barr Laboratories (now part of Teva Pharmaceuticals) defending nationwide antitrust class action brought by direct and indirect purchasers of the drug Provigil® (modafinil) challenging the so-called "reverse payment" settlement of Hatch-Waxman patent litigation.
- Counsel for Securities Investor Protection Corporation (SIPC) in first-ever action brought against it by the SEC in federal court in the District of Columbia. SEC Loses Bid to Get SIPC to Pay Stanford Ponzi Claims, The Wall Street Journal, July 3, 2012.
- Counsel for Ally Financial in litigation relating to the Chapter 11 reorganization of its subsidiary Residential Capital (ResCap).
- Counsel for Innkeepers USA Trust, the owner and operator of an extensive portfolio of extended-stay and select-service hotels, in a contested matter arising from its Chapter 11 reorganization.
- Counsel for Charter Communications in post-confirmation bankruptcy litigation.
- Counsel Red Bull in successful resolution of consumer protection class action.
The George Washington Law School, J.D., 2008, Highest Honors, Order of the Coif, Production Editor, The George Washington Law Review
University of Maryland, B.A., 2002, magna cum laude, Government & Politics, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
American Bar Association