James M. Becker represents companies and individuals at all stages of government enforcement proceedings, whether criminal, civil or administrative and serves as chair of the White-Collar Defense & Investigations practice group.
Jim has represented a wide variety of clients under government investigation in the health care, environmental, government procurement, tax, securities and antitrust fields, and he has substantial experience conducting internal corporate investigations that parallel ongoing governmental investigations.
Jim's prior experience as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and as Chief of the Major Crimes Section adds significant perspective to his practice. He is also a former trial attorney with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
His representations have included:
- A managed-care organization in federal criminal and civil investigation of possible False Claims Act and anti-kickback violations arising from its financial relationships with a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- The audit committee of a publicly traded government contractor in conducting an internal investigation of its management's alleged fraud in submitting and litigating a government contract claim.
- Executives, managers and employees of Fortune 500 pharmaceutical companies in federal criminal and civil investigations of pharmaceutical marketing practices.
- A Korean business executive in an international price fixing investigation.
- A durable medical equipment supplier at a trial involving federal criminal anti-kickback charges.
- A major academic medical center in a False Claims Act investigation of physician billing practices. A broker in an industry-wide antitrust investigation of price fixing in the municipal securities industry.
- Defense contractors (including Fortune 500 companies) in government investigations of False Claims Act and other alleged violations arising from the contractors' treatment of labor charges, overhead rates, reserves and other cost accounting issues in the submission of proposals and in contract billing.
- A company executive in a federal criminal investigation of illegal shipments of product to Iran.
- A company executive in a federal criminal investigation of illegal transfer of satellite technology to China.
- An insurance company in SEC/U.S.Department of Justice/NY Attorney General investigation of fraudulent accounting practices in the finite reinsurance business.
- The general counsel of a publicly traded company in a federal criminal investigation of the company's hiring of undocumented workers.
- The superintendent of a waste water treatment facility at a trial involving federal criminal Clean Water Act allegations.
Jim frequently lectures on white-collar crime and has served as a faculty member for the American Bar Association's annual White Collar Crime Institute and its National Institute on Health Care Fraud.
Jim is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for White Collar Criminal Defense, Who's Who Legal's publication "International Who's Who of Business Crime Lawyers," Chambers USA in the area of Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations, and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® and Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers®.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1978, with honors
Swarthmore College, B.A., 1974, with honors
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
Advisory Committee to the Committee on Model Criminal Jury Instructions, United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Board of Directors, Defender Association of Philadelphia
Former chair of Criminal Law Committee, president, Eastern District of Pennsylvania Chapter, Federal Bar Association
Former member, Practitioner's Advisory Group, United States Sentencing Commission
Former vice chair, White Collar Crime Committee, Criminal Justice Section, American Bar Association
Former member, Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board Hearing Committee
Member, Federal Courts Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Member, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter