How Sahel Helps Clients
Sahel is a seasoned private client and international tax lawyer, well-versed with the needs and legal issues of relevance to large international families and entrepreneurs in Europe, the Middle East and Asia with U.S. connections. She has experience advising ultra-high-net-worth individuals (UHNWI) and families with respect to international cross-border tax planning (inbound and outbound), international trusts and estates for families of substantial wealth, and compliance with U.S. tax reporting requirements such as assistance with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). In addition, Sahel assists individuals with respect to reporting matters before the IRS, including representation in matters pertaining to the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program(s) and the IRS Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures. Sahel also provides advice pertaining to taxation and reporting of cryptocurrencies (e.g. Bitcoin).
Given her numerous years as a practitioner in Zurich, Switzerland, Sahel also has experience advising foreign financial institutions, fiduciaries and family offices in the private wealth sector with respect to U.S. tax reporting, regulatory and compliance matters.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients can expect to find Sahel professional, thorough and dedicated, with a high drive for excellence. The most important aspect of her success is her relentless presence and availability to each of her clients.
I have found that the reason I am hired is because clients trust my knowledge, judgment and the fact that I will be a zealous advocate for them. In addition, my expertise in U.S. federal taxes, fluency in additional languages and experience overseas in Europe and the Middle East provides a unique platform to connect with international families.
Outside the Office
Sahel enjoys tennis, skiing, horseback riding, reading, the arts and culinary endeavors. Had she not become a lawyer, she would have pursued a career as a writer or an art expert in Old Masters.
- Provide advice to U.S. and foreign individuals and companies with respect to inbound and outbound taxation
- Assist with reporting matters pertaining to cryptocurrency (e.g. Bitcoin)
- Represent foreign financial institutions, family offices and private individuals with all aspects of international tax compliance, including the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account (FBAR), among others
- Represent clients with matters before the Internal Revenue Service in connection with voluntary disclosure and offshore enforcement compliance matters
- Provide assistance with international tax and wealth planning for ultra-high net worth individuals and families
- Assist foreign lawyers with cross-border matters pertaining to international tax including competent authority and transfer pricing
Prior to joining Buchanan, Sahel was a Senior Wealth Planner with Credit Suisse Group in Zurich, Switzerland, and a Supervising Senior Tax Specialist at KPMG LLP, Washington National Tax in the Mergers & Acquisitions group.
Sahel speaks Farsi and French fluently and German conversationally.
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2015, Taxation
Georgetown University Law Center, Certificate International Taxation, Estate Planning, 2014
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., 2010, Securities & Financial Regulation
American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 1998
University of Maryland, College Park, B.A., 1992
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
District of Columbia Bar
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Swiss American Chamber of Commerce
International Fiscal Association