Jill M. Lashay represents management in areas of labor and employment law, providing counsel to both union and non-union employers. She has worked with large and small employers in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, property development and management, hospitality, real estate, retail, social/human services, medical/hospital and long-term care, technology, energy, mass transit, primary and secondary education, food service and correctional institutions. Jill has also represented public sector governmental entities. She has been honored by her peers and selected to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list each year from 2009 to 2019. Jill has also been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© lists in 2017, 2018 and 2019. In 2018, she was honored with the Central Penn Business Journal's Women of Influence award.
Jill assists clients to maintain a union-free workplace and, for those employers who are working with a union, she partners with them to negotiate and administer collective bargaining agreements. Jill has also handled numerous labor arbitrations and unfair labor practice charges involving a broad range of contract interpretation and disciplinary issues, including discharges arising from safety violations, theft, fraud, drug/alcohol use, violence in the workplace, insubordination and absenteeism.
Jill assists employers to avoid costly employment-related litigation regarding:
- Compliance with discrimination laws.
- Hiring, evaluating and discharging employees.
- Managing employee leaves of absence.
- FLSA compliance – time records, exemptions, etc.
- Drug and alcohol testing.
- Social media and technology challenges within the workplace.
- Employment agreements.
- Restrictive covenants.
- Day-to-day human resource matters.
When litigation cannot be avoided, Jill's practice includes representing employers before federal and state courts, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the National Labor Relations Board and various state human rights commissions across the country.
Jill is nationally recognized in the area of occupational safety and health, assisting employers with general OSHA inspections, negotiating the reclassification of citations and reductions in proposed penalties with various OSHA Area and Regional offices and helping employers manage issues which arise when catastrophic accidents and fatalities strike the workplace.
Jill has recently presented on topics including:
- Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Recent developments in labor/employment law and agency enforcement.
- Violence in the workplace.
- Navigating the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- Managing OSHA and environmental agency inspections.
- Changes in labor/employment law and agency enforcement.
- The impact of social media in the workplace.
- Managing the complexities of the Family and Medical Leave Act.
- Managing under the challenges of the Americans With Disabilities Act.
- Managing to remain union-free.
- FMLA and ADA training for supervisory and non-supervisory employees.
- Effective management during a union organizing campaign.
- Anti-harassment and anti-discrimination.
- Managing medical marijuana in the workplace.
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1991, With Honors in Legal Writing
The George Washington University, B.A., 1988, Public Affairs
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Labor Section, Committee on Occupational Safety and Health Law, American Bar Association
PA Bar Association
Women Presidents Organization, Central PA Chapter: Founding Member
Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce: Advisory Committee on Labor and Employment
Trinity Lutheran Church: Capital Campaign Committee
Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape: Vision of Hope (Child Protection) Fundraising Committee