How Jason Helps Clients
Jason Parish is a member of the firm’s Litigation section and focuses his practice on complex litigation and government investigations. He has appeared before federal and state courts across the country and has taken numerous cases to trial.
Jason has significant experience with issues facing the healthcare and life sciences industries and is the co-leader of Buchanan’s life sciences group. For the last several years, Jason has represented several generic drug companies in the nationwide Average Wholesale Price litigation. He coordinated the defense of dozens of lawsuits in federal and state courts across the country, including qui tam actions under the federal False Claims Act and civil enforcement actions by state attorneys general under state consumer protection, false claims, and false advertising statutes.
Jason frequently represents healthcare and life sciences companies in complex disputes. In the last several years, his practice has included representation of brand and generic drug companies in reverse payment settlement litigation, product liability matters, antitrust matters, and a wide range of contract and commercial disputes. Jason currently represents a generic drug company in multi-district litigation in which plaintiffs allege an industry-wide conspiracy to fix generic drug prices.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Jason was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP where he represented numerous clients in high-stakes, ‘bet the company’ matters. Jason was counsel to BP in government investigations and litigation related to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster, to Volkswagen Group of America in government investigations related to the company’s alleged use of software to defeat government emissions tests, and to Allergan in the nationwide opioid litigation.
Jason’s experience spans antitrust, consumer protection, False Claims Act, products liability, and employment matters. He also has counseled numerous clients through government investigations, including inquiries by DOJ, FTC, HHS OIG, CMS, state attorneys general and Congress.
What Clients Can Expect
Jason excels at devising creative, cost-effective strategies to help clients achieve their legal and business objectives. Clients commend Jason’s ability to quickly absorb complex and developing facts and his common sense approach to even the thorniest legal problems.
Antitrust and Consumer Protection Matters
- Counsel to generic drug company in wide-ranging litigation by government and private plaintiffs alleging an industry-wide conspiracy to fix prices for generic drugs.
- Counsel to several generic drug companies in government investigations and dozens of cases alleging fraud related to AWP and other common drug pricing metrics.
- Counsel to GlaxoSmithKline, Barr, and other drug companies in reverse payment settlement litigation.
- Counsel to Volkswagen Group of America in government investigations related to the company’s alleged use of software to defeat government emissions tests.
- Counsel to rail equipment manufacturer in DOJ investigation of alleged ‘no-poach’ agreements.
- Counsel to consumer products company in FTC investigation of advertising practices.
- Counsel to genetic testing company in FTC investigation of privacy and data protection practices.
- Counsel to global electronics conglomerate in FTC and European Commission investigations of alleged abuses of standard-setting processes.
False Claims Act Matters
- Counsel to generic drug company in qui tam litigation alleging the reporting of false drug prices to state Medicaid programs.
- Counsel to healthcare consulting company in qui tam litigation alleging false physician certifications in support hospital admissions.
- Counsel to healthcare provider in qui tam litigation alleging violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Counsel to financial services company in multi-year DOJ investigation of alleged FCA and FIRREA violations in connection with residential mortgage-backed securities.
Mass Tort and Product Liability Matters
- Counsel to Allergan in the nationwide opioid litigation.
- Counsel to BP in government investigations and litigation related to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon disaster.
- Counsel to generic drug company in hundreds of cases alleging defective design and failure to warn for propofol.
- Counsel to medical device company in litigation alleging defective design and failure to warn for intrauterine devices.
- Counsel to Omega Flex in litigation alleging defective design and failure to warn for corrugated stainless steel tubing.
- Counsel to Verizon in class action litigation alleging widespread property damage due to placement of telephone poles.
Complex Commercial Matters
- Counsel to healthcare consulting company in numerous, related litigation and arbitration matters alleging breach of contract and violations of the FDCPA, EMTALA, and other statutes.
- Counsel to Aviva in litigation against an insurer alleging breach of contract related to company-owned life insurance policies.
- Counsel to Shaw Stone and Webster in litigation against a public utility alleging breach of contract related to the construction of a power plant.
- Counsel to American Home Shield in class action litigation alleging breach of contract and fraud related to home insurance policies.
- Counsel to Sun Capital and other private equity firms in multiple matters alleging federal and state WARN Act violations related to layoffs of portfolio company employees.
Pro Bono Matters
- Counsel for an individual plaintiff in litigation alleging Title VII and ADA violations by the District of Columbia Department of Corrections.
- Counsel for amici in various cases seeking to strike down prohibitions against same-sex marriage, including Golinski v. Office of Personnel Management (9th Circuit) and Hollingsworth v. Perry (Supreme Court).
- Counsel for numerous individuals in asylum proceedings.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2005, cum laude
American University, B.A., 2000, International Studies
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
American Bar Association
National LGBT Bar Association
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Fellow (2020)
Outstanding Achievement Award, Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
Best LGBT Lawyers Under 40, National LGBT Bar Association