How Stanley Helps Clients
Stanley J. Parker’s practice focuses on commercial and business litigation, including a wide range of real estate matters, energy and natural resources, tax assessment and tax exemptions, landlords and tenants, construction litigation, franchise matters and class actions. Stanley is a member of the firm's product liability practice group.
Stanley is a trial lawyer. He has served as lead counsel in both jury and non-jury trials throughout the nation, and he has been involved in appellate work, including arguments before the Pennsylvania and federal appellate courts. Stanley also litigates matters involving condemnations, franchises and shareholder disputes. Stanley also has experience in computer litigation support services, which he has employed to obtain timely and favorable results for clients involved in various commercial litigation matters.
What Clients Can Expect
Stanley is known for being a strong advocate for his clients, often acting as an extension of their in-house teams and delivering best in class service and results for his clients. Stanley is extremely focused on his relationships with his clients, many of whom he has worked with for number of years. His strategy for a successful client relationship is centered on collaboration and results.
Since he began practicing law, Stanley has built a strong reputation among his clients, colleagues and the judges for his integrity, competence, high ethical standards, career achievements and service to the bar and the community.
- Represented company in handling claim for social engineering fraud.
- Represented individual in defending identity theft claim.
- Represented internationals metals and coal company in defending enforcement of international arbitration award
- Represented large fast food restaurant chain in various matters across Pennsylvania.
- Represented a concrete railroad tie company in litigation, defending allegations of defective products.
- Represented a brokerage and securities management company in trade secret litigation.
- Represented railroad companies in federal court litigation regarding land use disputes.
- Represented numerous clients in real estate tax assessment and tax exemption cases, including commercial property, residential property, nursing homes, hospitals, property owned by religious groups, private clubs, a casino, colleges and universities, a YMCA and the Pittsburgh International Airport.
- Represented a waste water treatment facility before the Pennsylvania Environmental Hearing Board in defending a citation issued by Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and re-establishing the ability of our client to conduct its business operations.
- Represented coal supply companies in litigation with steel manufacturers and other customers, foreign and domestic. Handled cases in the banking industry involving electronic fraud transfers.
- Defended a manufacturer of electronic equipment in products liability action.
- Won an appeal before Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court, en banc, reversing a trial court decision in a case that will have statewide implications involving Pennsylvania's Construction Code.
- Represented a Pittsburgh area shopping center to enable it to proceed with a substantial expansion project. Represented a natural gas company in zoning and condemnation actions.
- Represented coal mining companies in zoning matters and contract litigation.
- Handled multiple lawsuits involving disputes over title to real estate.
- Protected companies' confidential and trade secret information by obtaining injunctions to prevent former employees' and competitors' misuse of such information.
- Represented a Pittsburgh manufacturer of voice recognition equipment against challenges to the capabilities of its products. Defended a local venture capital fund against claims of misrepresentation.
- Represented local developers and commercial landlords in resolving disputes with tenants and, when necessary, assisting such owners to evict tenants and collect delinquent rent.
Stanley has been consistently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® list each year since 2014 for his work in the area of commercial litigation. Stanley has also been consistently selected by his peers for inclusion on the list of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers®, a distinction limited to the top 5 percent of Pennsylvania lawyers.
Stanley’s commitment to the profession and his actions as a lawyer have been recognized. In 2005, The Legal Intelligencer and the Pennsylvania Law Weekly named Stanley as a “2005 Lawyer on the Fast Track.” In 2009, at the age of 39, Stanley was honored by Pittsburgh Magazine and featured in the magazine as one of Pittsburgh’s “40 under 40.”
Commitment to the Legal Profession
Early in his career, Stanley became actively involved in the Pennsylvania Bar Association, first serving in the PBA Civil Litigation Section. After election and service for several years on the PBA Civil Litigation Section Council, Stanley was elected as an officer of the Section and then served as Chair of the PBA Civil Litigation Section from 2006-2007. Following his term as President of the PBA Civil Litigation Section, Stanley then served as a Representative in the PBA House of Delegates, representing the interests of the full bar and assuring that the best interests of his chosen profession were advocated and achieved.
At the same time that Stanley was actively leading the PBA Civil Litigation Section, he also became involved in the leadership of ACBA Civil Litigation Section, the very section that determines the recipient of the Professionalism Award for which he is being nominated. During his time on the ACBA Civil Litigation Section Council, Stanley was elected as an officer of the Section and then served as Chair of the ACBA Civil Litigation Section from 2011-2012.
In 2006, while serving both the ACBA and the PBA, Stanley was elected to membership in the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County. Just as he had with both the ACBA and the PBA, Stanley became actively involved in the leadership of the Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County. After serving two terms on the Academy’s Board of Governors, Stanley was elected as an officer of the Academy of Trial Lawyers, first serving as Secretary, then Treasurer, then Vice-President of the Academy. In 2022, Stanley served as President of the Academy of Trial Lawyers.
In 2016, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court appointed Stanley to serve on the Supreme Court’s Rules of Evidence Committee, which is charged with reviewing the Pennsylvania Rules of Evidence and making recommendations to the Pennsylvania Supreme Court for any changes to those Rules. After serving as the Chair-Elect of the Rules of Evidence Committee, Stanley was designated as Chair of that Committee effective November 2, 2021 and held that position for a one year term. Stanley served on the Committee until 2022, having served 7 years.
In addition to all of the above, Stanley was elected to and currently serves on the International Association of Defense Council, which serves the membership of defense attorneys and whose activities benefit the 2,500 invitation-only, international peer reviewed members and their clients.
Outside the Office
Running, cycling and community service are among Stanley's passions and in each case he was able to take those interests to the next level by serving on boards as well as president of non-profit organizations in order to maximize his contributions.
In 2009, Stanley was elected to the Board of the Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, a non-profit organization that runs all aspects of the Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon and numerous other running events. In 2015, he served a three year term as the President of the Marathon.
Stanley also served as the co-chair of the Pittsburgh 250 Commission's Local Organizing Committee for the "Tour of Pennsylvania" international cycling event, which was held in 2008 and attracted some of world’s best cyclists in a race from Philadelphia to Pittsburgh and which culminated in downtown Pittsburgh.
Stanley served on the Board of Directors of Riverview Towers, a non-profit senior living community and on the Board of Directors of the Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers, an organization committed to providing food, transportation and comfort to the underserved elderly in our community. Following his time as a Board Member, Stanley also served as the organization's President, leading fundraising drives and the delivery of services to the elderly in our community in need.
Stanley is the proud husband of Sarah Meehan Parker and the proud father of four sons (Jacob, Eben, Joshua and Davis). He has called Pittsburgh his home for his whole life.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1992, cum laude
University of Vermont, B.A., 1989
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Past President, Board Member and Officer, Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
Council member and past chair, Civil Litigation Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Former member, House of Delegates, Pennsylvania Bar Association
International Association of Defense Counsel
Past chair, Pennsylvania Supreme Court Rules of Evidence Committee
Allegheny Regional Asset District, past vice president, treasurer and board member
Pittsburgh 250 Commission's Local Organizing Committee for the "Tour of Pennsylvania" international cycling event co-chair
Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers, past president, Board of Directors
Pittsburgh Three Rivers Marathon, past Board Member and Former President