How Michael Helps Clients
Trained as both a chemical engineer and an attorney, Michael Dever works with clients at the intersection of both worlds and finds that through the interplay between law and technology he can help businesses protect their technological investments and improve their bottom line.
Michael’s job: helping clients manage their intellectual property by providing portfolio management, counseling, intellectual property licensing and litigation. As an active member of the firm's IP practice groups focused on chemicals, litigation, and patent office litigation, Michael’s long experience combined with Buchanan’s award-winning IP team allow him to provide a full range of IP services. And because Michael has experience in a wide spectrum of technical disciplines, he understands his clients’ needs from both a legal and a technical perspective. Among his clients’ industries are chemical products and formulations, biomedical devices and procedures, metallurgical compositions, and mechanical and electromechanical devices. He also advises healthcare, educational and financial institutions.
These are among the many intellectual property services with which Michael assists clients:
- Assists with patent and trademark applications and their prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Helps clients protect patents and trademarks in foreign countries
- Assists start-up and growing companies in establishing procedures and guidelines to protect and enforce their intellectual property assets
- Helps companies avoid infringing on competitors' patents
- Assists companies in selecting, adopting and using trademarks
- Drafts and negotiates intellectual property licenses
- Counsels clients regarding IP issues associated with acquisitions and financings
- Assists in the valuation of intellectual property
- Helps clients address demands and complaints from non-practicing entities
He is also actively involved in litigating intellectual property disputes. He has litigated patent, trademark and copyright infringement cases in federal courts across the country.
Michael’s outstanding intellectual property work is continuously recognized by peers and clients. Managing Intellectual Property has named Michael as an “IP Star” in multiple consecutive years. International Asset Management recognized Michael as “a true all-rounder” in its “Patent 1000” best-in-class listing of patent prosecution, licensing and litigation practitioners. He has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® consistently since 2013 under the Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Patent, Patent Law and Trademark Law categories. In 2016, Best Lawyers in America’s “Review Guide” named Michael “Pittsburgh’s Litigation – Intellectual Property Lawyer of the Year," and in 2022, Michael was named The Best Lawyers in America® Patent Law "Lawyer of the Year."
I enjoy the interplay between law and technology – helping businesses improve their bottom line by protecting their technological investments.
Because of his extensive knowledge and experience, Michael was asked to serve on the Patent Local Rules Committee for the Western District of Pennsylvania and also assisted in preparing model patent jury instructions for the Western District.
Michael is frequently quoted on matters related to IP law, appears often as a lecturer, and publishes regularly on IP topics.
With a strong interest in assisting those who need it most, Michael serves as Board Chair of Achieva, the largest provider in Western Pennsylvania of support services to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families.
- Obtained a dismissal of a patent complaint and an award of attorney fees for client and defended both on appeal prior to the Supreme Court loosening the standards for obtaining such fee awards
- Assisted in the negotiation of favorable settlements in a series of patent infringement cases involving hearing protection devices (federal court – California).
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a patent infringement case involving railroad braking systems (federal court – Pennsylvania).
- Negotiated favorable settlements in a series of patent infringement cases involving accessory rail car parts (federal court – Pennsylvania).
- Defended against a preliminary injunction in a patent infringement case and negotiated a favorable settlement (federal court – Massachusetts).
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1984
West Virginia University, B.S., 1981, magna cum laude, Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Supreme Court
Allegheny County Bar Association
American Bar Association Section of International Law
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Patent Local Rule and Model Jury Instruction Committee for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Q. Todd Dickinson IP American Inn of Court
Past Board Chair, Achieva, the largest provider in Western Pennsylvania of support to individuals with developmental disabilities and their families
Sattler Humanitarian Award Recipient, Achieva, 2018