Copyright Protection Today: More Critical Than Ever
The protection of original works of authorship is perhaps more critical than ever and far more complex, given the means of producing and disseminating creative works available today. With ever-evolving technologies, especially in the world of digital media, e-commerce and software, it is important for you to understand and protect the expression of your innovative ideas and original materials via copyright law.
Our copyright attorneys can counsel and represent you in all aspects of copyright law, including:
- Advising on copyrightability.
- Conducting copyright and title clearance searches.
- Registering and protecting creative works.
- Handling complex authorship and ownership issues.
- Negotiating enforceable copyright license and distribution agreements.
- Advising on reproduction rights, derivative work rights, public performance rights and fair use.
- Transferring ownership of copyright portfolios during corporate transactions.
- Using copyrights as collateral.
- Monitoring and investigating potential infringements.
- Resolving copyright issues by negotiation when possible.
- Representing plaintiffs and defendants in copyright litigation.
Our clients include associations and nonprofit organizations, artists, authors, publishers, producers, entertainment companies, manufacturers, and other business entities. And our experience includes representing clients’ rights in connection with all of the following in both traditional and digital formats.
- Every type of print media.
- Fine art.
- Television programs.
- Video games.
- Theatrical works.
- Musical compositions.
- Other digital products.
- Sound recordings.
Every Dispute is Important
When copyright disputes arise and negotiations do not succeed, our copyright litigation team is prepared to act immediately to protect your interests. That may require enforcement of your copyright against an infringing party or defense of allegations of infringement made against you. In either event, we are committed to achieving your business objectives.
Our litigation team understands the many issues that arise in copyright disputes, including originality, fair use, work-for-hire agreements and related ownership questions, public domain, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, Orphan Works, and database protection and other laws. Whether in the U.S. Copyright Office, the U.S. Customs & Border Protection Service or the U.S. district courts throughout the nation, our copyright litigators are committed to protecting our clients' interests.