Jayson R. Wolfgang is the head of the Harrisburg, PA office of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney and serves as co-chair of the firm's Insurance & Reinsurance Practice Group.
How Jayson Helps Clients
Jayson’s civil practice of more than 30 years includes representation of insurance companies, health plan corporations, health care entities, business and nonprofit corporations, banking and trust entities, educational institutions, pharmaceutical companies, communications and media companies, and professional firms and individuals. He has represented clients in a broad range of issues involving, among others:
- Regulatory compliance
- Business disputes and litigation
- Commercial transactions and contract disputes
- Insurance and trade regulation
- Nonprofit organization, operation and compliance
- Restrictive covenants
- Intellectual property/trade secrets
- Contests for control
- Corporate and partnership organizational issues
- Public contracting/procurement
What Clients Can Expect
When working with Jayson, you can expect prompt attention, deliberate communication and the active pursuit of a favorable outcome.
Jayson has tried many cases to verdict and argued appeals in state and federal courts. He has also represented clients before and against administrative agencies and boards with specialized jurisdiction, including the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, the Pennsylvania Departments of Health, Human Services, Transportation, Education, Corrections, Revenue and State, as well as the Office of Attorney General.
He believes that communication and collaboration are keys to developing an effective strategy, achieving desired results and working within budget.
Outside the Office
When he's not working, Jayson can usually be found outdoors, enjoying golf or hiking. He also enjoys travel.
- Helped form (through regulatory processes) and protect (including litigation) a large integrated health care financing and delivery system.
- Successfully defended a claim for $1.3 billion against a nonprofit insurer accused of violating Pennsylvania’s Nonprofit Corporation Law.
- Represented both successful and disappointed offerors and bidders in connection with public procurements valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, including advice and counseling as well as litigation at the administrative and appellate levels.
- Represented a major insurer in a proposed class action involving the insurer's reserves and surplus.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action brought by the Office of Attorney General in Pennsylvania challenging pricing of drugs.
- Represents title insurance rating organizations in regulatory and litigation matters.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© for commercial litigation and government contracts every year since 2008.
- Holds Martindale-Hubbell's highest possible rating, AV Preeminent, for professional ethics and legal ability, as chosen by his peers and the judiciary.
- Named to the Central Penn Business Journal Power 100 List (2022 -2023).
- Named to the Central Penn Business Journal Power List for Law (2023).
Penn State Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1991
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1988, magna cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Supreme Court
Dauphin County Bar Association
Civil Litigation Section Council, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Past Member
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, Certified Mediator
Advocacy I, The Penn State Dickinson School of Law, Adjunct Faculty
Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2010-12, Member
Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2012-present, Member
Hon. William W. Lipsitt American Inn of Court, 2011-12, Barrister
American Health Law Association
Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children, Board of Directors, Board Vice Chair, January 2017-present; Chair, Governance & Nominating Committee, 2018-19; Member 2017-present
Four Diamonds Advisory Board, Penn State Health Children’s Hospital, Chair 2021; Vice Chair, 2019-2020; Member 2015-2021
Silver Spring Presbyterian Church, Ruling Elder (chaired Commitment and Nominating Committees)
Associate Pastor Nominating Committee, Silver Spring Presbyterian Church, Chair