Jayson R. Wolfgang is the Managing Shareholder for the Harrisburg, PA office of Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney.
How Jayson Helps Clients
Jayson’s extensive civil litigation practice includes commercial, insurance regulatory, state procurement, intellectual property/trade secret, health care, Right to Know Law, regulatory compliance, tort and other litigation for corporations, financial institutions, health care entities, small to mid-size businesses, municipalities and individuals.
Jayson is also a recognized advocate for the use of new and improved technologies in litigation. He founded the firm's Litigation Technology Working Group and E-discovery Team. He is regularly consulted by judges, attorneys, in-house counsel and other professionals with respect to preservation and discovery of electronically stored information (ESI) and the use of technology in litigation.
What Clients Can Expect
When working with Jayson, you can expect prompt attention, careful communication and the active pursuit of a favorable outcome.
Jayson has tried many cases to verdict and argued appeals in state and federal courts. He has represented clients before and against administrative agencies and boards, including the Pennsylvania Departments of Insurance, Transportation, Education, Corrections, Revenue and State. When appropriate, Jayson has also employs alternative dispute resolution procedures such as arbitrations and mediations.
He believes that communication and collaboration are keys to developing an effective strategy, achieving desired results and working in budget.
Outside the Office
When he's not working, Jayson can usually be found outdoors, enjoying golf or hiking. He also enjoys travel.
- Obtained dismissal on summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, of a claim for $1.3 billion against a nonprofit insurer accused of violating Pennsylvania’s Nonprofit Corporation Law.
- Represented offerors and bidders in connection with public procurements valued at hundreds of millions of dollars, including advice and counseling as well as litigation at the administrative and appellate levels.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical company in an appeal arising from an action challenging pricing of pharmaceutical products.
- Represented a major insurer in a proposed class action involving the insurer's reserves and surplus.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an action brought by the Office of Attorney General in Pennsylvania challenging pricing of drugs.
- Represented title insurance rating organizations in regulatory and litigation matters.
- Represented an innovator pharmaceutical company in Hatch-Waxman paragraph IV patent infringement cases involving method and formulation patents.
- Represented a newspaper company under subpoena by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Office of Attorney General, involving First Amendment and Shield Law issues.
- Represented a group of managed care organizations in litigation against the Pennsylvania Insurance Department involving the proper interpretation of a mandated benefit statute.
- Secured judgment as a matter of law at trial, in a Uniform Fraudulent Transfers Act case, on behalf of a limited partnership real estate owner and landlord of property located in a well-known car dealership strip of U.S. Rt. 1 in Langhorne, Pennsylvania.
- Defended a national pharmacy company in class action litigation involving claims of fraud for alleged violations of Pennsylvania's Motor Vehicle and Financial Responsibility Law.
- Represented the governing board of a nonprofit corporation with respect to relationships between a major university and its law school.
- Represented major parties in litigation relating to the proposed sale of Hershey Foods Corporation (now The Hershey Company).
- Secured a defense verdict for a major media company on multi-million-dollar compensatory damage claims for alleged defamation and false light/invasion of privacy.
- Jayson has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for commercial litigation every year since 2008.
- Jayson holds Martindate-Hubbell's highest possible rating, AV Preeminent, for professional ethics and legal ability, as chosen by his peers and the judiciary
Penn State Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1991
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1988, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
Dauphin County Bar Association
Past Member, Civil Litigation Section Council, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Certified Mediator, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
Adjunct faculty, Trial Advocacy I, The Penn State Dickinson School of Law
Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2010-12
Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee, U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2012-present
Barrister, Hon. William W. Lipsitt American Inn of Court, 2011-12
Member, Four Diamonds Advisory Board, Dec. 2015-present
Member, Board of Directors, Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children, Jan. 2017-present
Ruling Elder, Silver Spring Presbyterian Church (chaired Commitment and Nominating Committees)
Chair, Associate Pastor Nominating Committee, Silver Spring Presbyterian Church