Seasoned, Comprehensive Guidance for Tax-exempt Organizations
Broad Experience with a Focus on the Details
Our firm is well-known for our collaborative approach. Nowhere is this collaboration more evident than in our nonprofit organizations group, which includes professionals from the firm's tax, ERISA/employee benefits, corporate finance and technology, labor and employment, healthcare, real estate, intellectual property and government relations teams. Together, we provide a broad scope of experience coupled with the detailed knowledge that nonprofit organizations require in order to achieve their mission.
Our attorneys provide a full range of services that meet the unique needs of nonprofit entities, including:
- Establishing or restructuring nonprofit organizations, including obtaining tax-exempt status from the IRS and state tax authorities.
- Advising clients on charitable solicitation rules and assisting with state registrations.
- Managing business activities and minimizing the effect of unrelated business income tax.
- Designing compensation arrangements, employment agreements and succession plans.
- Advising on intellectual property issues.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Structuring and negotiating joint ventures between for-profit and nonprofit organizations.
- Structuring and negotiating tax-exempt financing.
- Performing legal audits.
- Representing nonprofit organizations in IRS and state audits.
- Advising on corporate governance issues.
- Advising on tax compliance, including lobbying restrictions and private foundation rules.
- Assisting with reporting obligations.
- Structuring program-related investments by private foundations into traditional for-profits and hybrid business entities, including low-profit limited liability companies.
- Advising on structuring mission-related investments.
- Advising on international philanthropy matters.
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory developments.