How Marc Helps Clients
Marc Tepper is a first-chair trial lawyer highly regarded for his successful representations in complex commercial disputes. With more than 25 years' experience, his diverse practice straddles corporate transactions and trial work, with a focus on corporate governance, financial services and corporate insurance. Marc is a member of the Firm’s Associates Committee, which plays a key role in developing associates and senior attorneys.
In 2018 and 2017, Marc was recognized in Pennsylvania by Chambers USA and in 2015 as a Band 1 leading lawyer. In the publication, clients noted him as “a practical and savvy lawyer who gets to the core of what needs to be done.” Also in 2017, Marc was chosen for inclusion in the Philadelphia Business Journal's Best of the Bar: Philadelphia's Top Lawyers in Business Litigation.
Marc has successfully litigated securities class action matters, breach of fiduciary duty, corporate control, antitrust and consumer fraud class actions. In 2016, he was selected to represent the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in constitutional and jurisdictional issues of first impression. He previously represented the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands in the landmark $205 billion settlement with the tobacco industry.
Marc recently concluded a commercial earn out dispute involving revenue recognition issues related to the rebuilding of the World Trade Center in New York City. He frequently counsels insurance and banking industry clients in a wide range of services, including, reinsurance contracts, liquidation, and FDIC laws, regulations and related acts. Additionally, he has handled insurance-specific transactions along with the accompanying Insurance Department regulatory filings.
Marc handles various insurance matters, such as those involving art losses, cyber insurance, recall coverage and related claims, errors and omissions, intellectual property and other business tort claims. Representative clients include insurance companies, bank directors and officers, lenders, governments, licensed professionals, law firms and companies in corporate governance and control disputes. He has also handled FDA issues regarding the sale of dietary supplements and has handled a wide variety of product recall related disputes.
Marc has also represented attorneys in federal jury trials to verdict and other professionals in complex business matters.
Marc previously served on the Board of Governors for the Philadelphia Bar Association and as President of the Philadelphia-Israel Chamber of Commerce. He currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce as well as on the regional United Way Cabinet.
Marc is chair of Buchanan’s Insurance and Reinsurance Group.
What Clients Can Expect
He never overstaffs or under-communicates. He helps clients understand short-term legal issues and long-term business impact.
Outside the Office
Marc brings a similar work ethic and intensity to his free time. He has run more than 11 marathons; 5 after he turned 50.
Marc lives in the Historic District of Philadelphia with his wife, has two sons in college and a spoiled Great Dane.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Band 1.
- Tried a complex case in Puerto Rico involving Puerto Rico’s Act 72, the Dormant Commerce Clause and Equal Protection Clause covered by the Wall Street Journal and other national news outlets.
- Represented the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands for over 20 years in government contract matters, FEMA issues, construction litigation, receivership litigation and environmental litigation.
- America Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell selected Marc as a “2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law.”
- The Best Lawyers in America® list in the insurance law category, since 2013.
- Pennsylvania's Super Lawyers list, consistently since 2006.
- Listed in Who's Who in America.
- AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Rating.
- Represented a national bank in a $120 million collateral swap involving an insurance company in rehabilitation.
- Represented the Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands as part of the landmark $205 billion settlement with the tobacco industry.
- Defeated a class action for a Pennsylvania real estate developer in PA federal court.
- Represented an automobile component parts manufacturer in a $25 million replevin recovery, the largest ever in Montgomery County, Pa.
- Represented a syndicate of major lending institutions in a $50 million director and officer lawsuit in federal court.
- Represented companies, captive insurance companies and reinsurers in multimillion-dollar collateral and trust account disputes.
- Represented suppliers and manufacturers in products liability and consumer class action lawsuits in both state and federal courts.
- Formed and maintained oversight of a security and alarm trade association risk retention group domiciled in Vermont.
New England School of Law, J.D., 1986
Ithaca College, B.S., 1982
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
Member, Insurance and Reinsurance Committee; Corporate Compliance Committee; International Committee, International Association of Defense Counsel (2007-2011)
Member, ARIAS U.S. (2007-present)
Member, Business Law Section; Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association; Securities Regulation Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association
Investigative Division, Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention (2006-present)
Executive Committee, Philadelphia Bar Association's Brandeis Society (2009-present)
The Lawyers Club of Philadelphia
Washington DC Bar Association
Insurance Section, Law360 Editorial Board (2011)
United Way of Philadelphia & Southern New Jersey, 2018-2019 Campaign Cabinet
President, Philadelphia-Israel Chamber of Commerce (2008-2011); Also, Board member and Executive Committee Member
Co-Chair, 2015 Tribute Committee for Yitzhak Rabin Public Service Award Dinner honoring the pediatric research partnership between Drexel University, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Cherry Hill Township, Planning Board Member (2007-2011)
Philadelphia Bar Association Task Force on Public School Funding (2009)
United Way Cabinet Member; Co-chair, Legal Division (2009-present)