PITTSBURGH - April 28, 2021 – Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney proudly announces its new Diversity & Inclusion Council and the launch of five Affinity Groups which are open to all employees.
Buchanan’s Diversity & Inclusion Council will collaborate directly with Lloyd Freeman, the firm’s Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer (CDIO) to enhance recruitment, retention and promotion efforts to ensure equitable advancement and exposure for women and underrepresented employees. The Council, will meet regularly to recommend and guide policies, programs and initiatives as it relates to D&I in the firm.
“For any organization to have a truly successful D&I program, the voices of employees need to be heard and amplified,” said Freeman. “At Buchanan, we believe that by empowering our employees to take part in guiding our D&I strategy, we are able to make even more meaningful strides towards fostering an inclusive workplace.”
In addition, the firm has introduced five new Affinity Groups:
- Buchanan B.O.L.D. (Buchanan's Organization for Leadership and Diversity) the affinity group for employees of color.
- Buchanan N.O.W (Network of Women) the affinity group for employees who identify as women.
- Buchanan P.R.I.D.E. (Promoting Respect, Inclusion and Diversity for all Employees) the affinity group for employees who identify as LGBTQ and allies.
- Buchanan C.A.R.E.s (Caregiving Assistance and Resources for Employees) the affinity group for employees who are caregivers and working parents.
- Buchanan B.R.A.V.E. (Buchanan’s Recognition of Active and Veteran Employees) the affinity group for employees who are veterans or currently serving in the armed forces.
These Affinity Groups are formed around common identities and are open to all employees. The groups will offer opportunities for mentoring, networking and development on both a personal and professional level. Group members are also charged with suggesting ideas for cultural awareness programming to the D&I Council.
In November 2020, Buchanan appointed Lloyd Freeman as its full-time CDIO. Since then, the firm has continued to introduce new programming and has made substantial steps in enhancing D&I efforts not only within the walls of the firm, but in the community and the legal industry as a whole.