Katie Goldman has a high level litigation practice which encompasses complex commercial matters, real estate litigation, and litigation arising out of the construction, railroad, banking and natural resources industries. Katie also represents clients related to political elections and labor and employment matters.
Katie has served as lead trial counsel in numerous jury trials and has represented clients in both state and federal courts in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, New York and Virginia. She has notable appellate experience as well.
Katie has a particular interest in focused, solution-oriented and cost-effective legal representation. She is engaged for the creation and management of cross-functional teams in large scale matters and Katie serves as Co-Chair of Buchanan's Client Service Innovation Committee.
Katie was named to the BTI Client Service All-Stars 2017 list, an award based solely on unprompted feedback from corporate counsel at large and Fortune 1000 organizations. The BTI Client Service All-Stars is the definitive annual guide to the attorneys commanding the attention of legal decision makers by truly influencing and changing the legal industry. The only way to become a BTI Client Service All-Star is for corporate counsel to single out an attorney for client service exceeding all others. Katie has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® consistently since 2019 in the Commercial Litigation category.
Among her recent engagements, Katie has represented:
- A national bank defending against a $100 million lender liability action brought in a Pennsylvania federal court involving a failed Rocky Mountain ski resort and simultaneously securing a multi-million dollar judgment for monies advanced.
- A national lender in loan workouts and large-scale creditors' rights litigations involving real estate development projects.
- A major transporter of coal and industrial products operating one of the most extensive intermodal rail networks in the East involving property disputes.
- A wide variety of contractors and developers of large commercial sites involving construction defect claims.
- A diversified financial services provider in prosecuting a brokerage house for failing to honor trades involving foreign currency.
- A large lumber and building material supplier in employment litigation involving allegations of sexual discrimination.
- One of the largest English-language trade book publishers in the world involving a defamation action.
A strong proponent of firm citizenship and diversity leadership, Katie is actively involved in Buchanan’s Diversity and Inclusion initiatives. She is a 2016 fellow with the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity. She is a member of Buchanan’s Diversity and Inclusion Council and a leader of the Women’s Business Development Committee. Katie is the Director of Buchanan’s “Women in the Lead” program in partnership with Carnegie Mellon’s Tepper School of Business.
In addition, Katie appears on local television as a political and legal analyst.
West Virginia University, J.D., 1995
Wheaton College, B.A., 1992
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- West Virginia
Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Energy & Mineral Law Foundation
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Allegheny County Bar Association, Judiciary Committee
West Virginia Bar Association
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (2016 Fellow)
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra – Jack Heinz Society