As Buchanan’s Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, Lloyd Freeman is responsible for advancing and expanding diversity throughout the firm and across the legal industry as a whole. Lloyd develops and drives the firm’s diversity initiatives related to attorney hiring, retention and advancement. He oversees the firm’s affinity groups and promotes mentorship and sponsorship as key retention initiatives. Additionally, he collaborates with Buchanan’s clients to meet and advance their diversity and inclusion goals and coordinates partnerships for mutually-beneficial programs such as internships, thought leadership, speaking engagements and more. Lloyd is also involved in nurturing key partnerships to drive strategic diversity and inclusion marketing, as well as business development initiatives.
Lloyd has been a champion of diversity and inclusion in the legal profession throughout his career, including in his roles as a litigation partner and a Chief Diversity Officer at his previous firm. He is a sought-after speaker and has published articles on various diversity-related topics, including the impact of stigma and discrimination, implicit bias, allyship and imposter syndrome, among others.
Each of us plays a role in fostering an inclusive workplace where everyone feels respected and reflected at all levels of the organization.
Outside of the firm, Lloyd has served as president of the Garden State Bar Association (GSBA) and under his leadership, the GSBA raised nearly $100,000 and awarded scholarships to a record number of diverse law students. He also worked tirelessly in this role to increase diversity in the judiciary by endorsing scores of attorneys of color to be appointed to the bench.
He is chairman of the board of Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region (BBBS) - the fourth largest agency in the nation, providing mentors to nearly 4,000 children in the Philadelphia and South Jersey area. On behalf of the agency, Lloyd has made numerous television appearances to promote BBBS programs and events while raising awareness of its mission and need for more mentors. Specifically, Lloyd has inspired dozens of black men to volunteer as mentors, a demographic that is in dire need. Further, Lloyd has donated hundreds of pro bono hours in legal services over the years to the agency.
Lloyd founded, and has chaired for a decade now, the Burlington Camden Achievement Foundation, which runs the Beautillion program—a scholarship and mentoring program designed to prepare high school males of color for college and subsequent life. To date, over 120 young men have completed the program; they’ve been accepted to over 650 colleges around the country and Freeman’s foundation has awarded them over $155,000 in scholarships.
In 2019, he was named Diverse Attorney of the Year by the New Jersey Law Journal and received the Minority Business Leader Award from the Philadelphia Business Journal. In 2018, he was listed as one of the Most Influential Black Lawyers in America by Savoy Magazine and was named “South Jersey’s Man of the Year” by South Jersey Magazine.
Outside the Office
An avid traveler, Lloyd enjoys international vacations and cuisine—including traditional French classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris. Stateside, he enjoys summers in Martha’s Vineyard, perfecting his Kansas City barbeque skills and competitive cycling. Lloyd resides in Medford, New Jersey with his wife, Ebony, and children, Ailey and Beau.
- Next Generation of Leaders (NJBiz), 2021
- New Jersey’s Most Influential DEI leaders 2021 (ROI NJ), 2021
- 2021 Albert S. Dandridge, III Business Law Section Diversity Award (Philadelphia Bar Association), 2021
- South Jerseyan of the Year (Walter Rand Institute), 2020
- New Jersey’s 40 Under 40 (NJBiz), 2020
- Authentic Leadership Award (Tri-State Diversity Council), 2020
- Diverse Attorney of the Year (New Jersey Law Journal), 2019
- Community Leadership Award (Urban Affairs Coalition), 2019
- Mary Philbrook Public Interest Award (Rutgers Law School), 2019
- Minority Business Leader Award (Philadelphia Business Journal), 2019
- Humanitarian Award (National Bar Association), 2019
- Trailblazer Award (New Leaders Council-NJ), 2019
- Lawyers of Color Nation’s Best List, 2019
- Champion of Diversity Award (Drexel Black Law Students Association), 2019
- South Jersey’s Man of the Year (South Jersey Magazine), 2018
- 40 Under 40 Nation’s Best Advocates (National Bar Association), 2018
- Most Influential Black Lawyers in America (Savoy Magazine), 2018
- Halo Award (South Jersey Young Professionals Association), 2018
- Bringing It Beyond Award (Association of Black Law Students), 2018
- South Jersey’s 20 Under 40 List (South Jersey Biz Magazine), 2017
- Visionary Leader Award (Camden County East NAACP), 2017
- Young Professional of the Year Award (Non-Profit Development Center of Southern New Jersey), 2017
- Outstanding Director Award (Philadelphia Business Journal), 2017
- Champions of Social Justice and Equality Award (Rutgers Black Law Students Association), 2016
- Young Lawyer Award (Garden State Bar Association), 2015
- New Leaders of the Bar Award (New Jersey Law Journal), 2015
- “Reasons to Believe” Alumni Honor Roll (Kansas City Public Schools), 2014
- Philadelphia’s 40 Under 40 (Philadelphia Business Journal), 2014
- Community Leader Award (LEAP Academy), 2013
- Recent Graduate Award (Rutgers Law School), 2012
- Rutgers Excellence in Alumni Leadership Award (Rutgers University), 2011
- Young Business Leader Award (Howard University School of Business), 2010
- Young Lawyer of the Year (New Jersey State Bar Association), 2010
- Craig M. Perry Community Service Award (Philadelphia Bar Association—Young Lawyers Division), 2010
- Young Urban Leader Award (Urban League of Philadelphia), 2008
Howard University , B.B.A., 2004, International Business/Marketing
Rutgers School of Law, J.D., 2007
Cornell University, Diversity and Inclusion Certificate, 2021
- New Jersey
Association of Law Firm Diversity Professionals, Member
Drexel University Kline School of Law, Board Member
Garden State Bar Association, Past President and Life Member
Rutgers Law School Alumni Association, Past Chancellor
Public Interest Law Center, Past Board Member
Barristers Association of Philadelphia
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region, Board Chairman
Burlington Camden Achievement Foundation, Chairman
American Red Cross of Southwestern NJ, Past Board Member
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Sigma Pi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Diversity Leadership Network