How Kelly Helps Clients
Kelly M. Neal concentrates her practice in bankruptcy, creditors' rights and commercial litigation. Specifically, she focuses on the representation of secured and unsecured creditors, including financial institutions, special servicers, equipment finance companies and commercial landlords in the following types of cases:
- Commercial litigation including foreclosures, receiverships, confession of judgment, asset recovery, replevin, lender liability defense, and fraudulent transfer litigation.
- Bankruptcy court litigation and adversary proceedings , including automatic stay litigation, 363 sales, discharge actions, preference defense, claims litigation, cash collateral litigation and plan litigation.
- Out-of-court restructurings and workout-related matters, including forbearance agreements, settlement agreements, loan modification agreements, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, asset recovery and auctions under the uniform commercial code.
- Real estate and asset-based lending transactions, including intercreditor and subordination agreements.
- Appellate court litigation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Kelly is an alumna of the Allegheny County Bar Leadership Initiative and sits on the council for the ACBA’s and Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Sections. Kelly serves as a member of a task force through the Business Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association evaluating Pennsylvania insolvency and receivership laws, and previously served as a member of the Uniform Voidable Transactions Act Task Force which successfully proposed amendments to Pennsylvania’s fraudulent transfer laws that went into effect in 2018.
Kelly was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 and 2020, in the Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency and Reorganization Law categories. In 2019, she was named a Pennsylvania Rising Star.
Before starting with Buchanan, Kelly worked at MidPenn Legal Services Association in Lancaster, Pennsylvania and Neighborhood Legal Services Association in Pittsburgh, and she volunteered as a tax preparer for low-income individuals through Just Harvest and the United Way.
Outside the Office
Kelly lives in the South Hills of Pittsburgh with her husband and two children. When not in the office, Kelly enjoys spending time with family and friends, seeing live music, reading, and taking in hockey and football games.
- Represented Debtor in restructuring and sale of Rex Energy in the largest chapter 11 case in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Represented national financial institution in confession of judgment and receivership litigation for more than $20 million.
- Represented national financial institution in connection with recovery and sale of marine vessels in federal admiralty proceedings and deficiency litigation against guarantors.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest equipment finance companies in contested state and federal court asset recovery litigation.
- Represented special servicer in connection with negotiation and documentation of deed in lieu transaction with respect to loan for more than $40 million.
- Represented senior secured creditor in bankruptcy case under chapter 12 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2009, summa cum laude; CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Federal Income Taxation, Estate and Gift Taxation, Immigration, and Bankruptcy; Duquesne Law Review
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2005, International Politics and an Italian Minor
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of Illinois
Turnaround Management Association
International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
Judith K. Fitzgerald Bankruptcy Inn of Court
Allegheny County Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Neighborhood Legal Services Debt Advice Clinic
Pro Bono Protection from Abuse Program