Kelly M. Neal concentrates her practice in bankruptcy, creditors' rights and commercial litigation. Specifically, she focuses on the representation of financial institutions, equipment finance companies, commercial landlords and special servicers in the following types of cases:
- Commercial foreclosures, receiverships, breach of contract litigation, asset recovery matters, lender liability defense litigation and fraudulent transfer litigation.
- Bankruptcy court matters and adversary proceedings, including automatic stay litigation, discharge actions, preference actions, claims litigation, stay relief proceedings, cash collateral litigation and plan litigation.
- Out-of-court restructurings and workout-related matters, including the negotiation and drafting of forbearance agreements, settlement agreements, modification agreements and deeds in lieu of foreclosure, in addition to asset sales through receiverships and under the uniform commercial code.
- Appellate court litigation in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Real estate and asset-based financing transactions.
Kelly's recent representations include:
- Contested foreclosure and receivership litigation involving lender liability claims in federal court.
- Confession of judgment and receivership litigation for over $20 million on behalf of one of the nation's largest financial institutions.
- Contested state and federal court asset recovery litigation on behalf of one of the nation's largest equipment financing companies.
- Single-asset real estate bankruptcy court litigation on behalf of national lending institution resulting in favorable appellate court case law precedent for lenders.
- Negotiation of cash collateral orders in federal bankruptcy court on behalf of national special servicer.
- Negotiation and documentation of deed in lieu transaction with respect to loan for over $40 million on behalf of national special servicer.
- Negotiation and documentation of sale of business assets on behalf of national special servicer.
- Collateral recovery action in bankruptcy case in the Western District of Pennsylvania requiring contested stay relief litigation and negotiation with competing creditors.
In addition to her legal practice, Kelly is also heavily involved in the community. She volunteers with legal aid clinics through Neighborhood Legal Services Association and is active in the Allegheny County Bar Association. Kelly is an alumna of the ACBA’s Bar Leadership Initiative and currently sits on the council for the ACBA’s Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section. Kelly served as a member of the Uniform Voidable Transactions Act Task Force of the Business Law Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Kelly was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2019 & 2020 editions in the Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights and Insolvency and Reorganization Law categories.
Before starting with Buchanan, Kelly worked at MidPenn Legal Services Association in Lancaster, Pa. and Neighborhood Legal Services Association in Pittsburgh, and she volunteered as a tax preparer for low-income individuals through Just Harvest and the United Way in Pittsburgh.
While in law school, Kelly served as a Summer Associate with Buchanan's Pittsburgh office.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2009, summa cum laude; CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in Federal Income Taxation, Estate and Gift Taxation, Immigration, and Bankruptcy; Duquesne Law Review
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2005, International Politics and an Italian Minor
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of Illinois
Turnaround Management Association
International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
Judith K. Fitzgerald Bankruptcy Inn of Court
Allegheny County Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Neighborhood Legal Services Debt Advice Clinic
Pro Bono Protection from Abuse Program