Brian S. North represents various public and private companies, private funds and investors in a wide range of domestic and cross-border transactions, including business combinations, divestitures, joint ventures, public and private offerings of securities and change-of-control matters. In addition, Brian has advised boards of directors and board committees on a variety of governance issues.
He also provides advice to both well established and early stage companies on the acquisition, commercialization and licensing of technology. Brian is a co-chair of Buchanan's Securities Practice Group.
He has represented clients in the industries of natural resources (oil and gas, coal and geothermal), life sciences, engineering and construction, healthcare, telecommunications, financial services, metals, defense, cable television, electric power generation and distribution, hospitality , specialty chemicals, logistics, transportation (water and motor carrier), apparel, advertising, protective coatings and industrial distribution.
Some of Brian's transactions include:
- Registration of $700 million of debt and equity securities for major international energy company
- Public offering of $250 million principal amount of convertible notes for global advanced metals supplier
- Acquisition of product line from major international pharmaceutical company for $225 million
- Merger of two publicly traded independent oil & gas companies
- Sale of specialty chemical company for $97 million
- Representation of a NYSE-listed electronics manufacturer in the successful defense of a proxy contest
- Sale of medical marijuana dispensary business for $125 million
- Initial public offering and Nasdaq listing of a clinical-stage biotechnology company
Brian is listed in The Best Lawyers® in America (Corporate Law and Securities/Capital Markets Law) and has been named in the past as the Philadelphia "Lawyer of the Year" for Securities/Capital Markets Law. He has also been listed multiple times as a Global Leader in M&A by Who’s Who Legal. He is actively involved with the activities of the Mergers and Acquisitions Committee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association and has been a contributing author to a number of its publications. He is also a member of the Federal Regulation of Securities Committee and the former Chair of the Annual Review of Federal Securities Regulation published in The Business Lawyer.
Brian is a past President and a volunteer attorney with the Homeless Advocacy Project, an organization which serves the legal and advocacy needs of homeless individuals and families in Philadelphia.
Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1976
The George Washington University, B.A., 1973
- New York
Philadelphia Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Federal Regulation of Securities and Mergers and Acquisitions Committees, American Bar Association Business Law Section