Supporting You Today and for Generations to Come
The attorneys of our Family Office team offer integrated legal services across multiple practice areas to assist high-net-worth families and business owners to structure and manage family offices, holding company structures, pooled investment structures, private trust structures and foundations to accomplish family business, investment and philanthropic objectives.
Your Family Office Needs Centralized Legal Support
We are your single, centralized source for oversight and management of your family office’s legal world, with the knowledge, dedication and experience to help you maintain and grow what you have worked so hard to create.
- Planning and Executing Tax Strategies: We will partner with your accountants and investment advisors to develop effective tax strategies for ongoing wealth management and preservation, accumulation and transfer of intergenerational wealth.
- Overseeing Assets: We understand that with wealth comes complexity. We can assist you in implementing structures and procedures for more efficient management of closely-held business interests, real estate and art and other luxury items.
- Establishing Successful Family Governance: We can help you establish a family office board, advisory council, legacy plans and wealth education plans.
- Implementing Investment Structures: We will partner with your accountants to analyze the tax efficiency of proposed investment strategies, including Opportunity Zone investments, and collaborate with your brokers and other investment advisors to implement sound and flexible structures.
- Planning for Wealth Succession Our job is to ensure that the estate planning wishes of family members are clearly articulated and enshrined, with all tax and other relevant considerations covered.
- Strategizing for Business Succession: Planning to pass on a business to the next generation has complex tax and other implications. We can help closely-held businesses transfer ownership and leadership to the next generation.
- Managing Personal and Business Risk: Our team can review your insurance strategies and policies to ensure that personal and business risks are well managed and make referrals to insurance professionals known to us.
- Overseeing Philanthropic Strategies: Our team can assist your philanthropic activities, from formation and administration of philanthropic structures, to ongoing tax compliance and governance, to termination of structures no longer needed.
- Preventing Future Discord: For premarital and closely-held business agreements, our team will work with you to establish financial parameters to help head off future disputes.
- Supporting Your Team: We can assist your internal team and other services providers with recordkeeping and tax and other reporting.
Your Hand-Selected Team
A key advantage of working with our firm is our ability to provide a fully coordinated, multidisciplinary approach that includes attorneys carefully hand-selected from throughout our firm based on what we know about you, your business industry, your needs and your preferences. While our team resides in our tax section because so many of your questions and planning and transactional needs have tax implications, our Family Office team serves as a hub for handling your needs far beyond tax.
We build a customized core team that has you covered no matter what the need. For example:
- Real Estate: Our real estate team can assist you with transactions such as commercial and residential acquisitions, sales, financings, co-investments and joint ventures; and advise you on the design and development of construction projects.
- Corporate Transactions: We can tap attorneys from our Corporate group to assist with a merger, acquisition, disposition, entity formation, financing, or any other transaction your business is engaged in.
- Fiduciary Litigation: We advise clients on how to prevent unnecessary and costly litigation. When necessary, we take action representing corporate and individual fiduciaries, charitable foundations, and estates and trusts in both administrative and court proceedings, as well as disputes among beneficiaries or between beneficiaries and fiduciaries.
- Labor & Employment: Our labor and employment lawyers are ready to help with all types of employment agreements, compensation, compliance and much more.
- Cybersecurity: Today, it is critical that your personal and business information remain safe from a whole range of threats. Our team understands this and can advise you on both the protective measures you need to take and on the best responses following a cyber-threat or attack.
- Financings: Our financing attorneys can assist you with transactions such as working lines of credit for the benefit of your family that may be secured by your personal property assets, and advise you on the best way to structure such financings.
An Extended Family of Services
We understand that even a full-service law firm such as ours can’t assist you with everything, so an important part of our job is to help you find other resources that are a perfect fit. Because we come to know you so well and because of our many connections in the areas we serve, we can advise you on selecting other professionals, such as life insurance agents, investment bankers, accounting firms and more. We coordinate closely with these outside resources – only people we know well and trust – on an ongoing basis to ensure that they understand your needs and become valued members of your service team.
We never want you to hesitate to call. Too often, clients fear the hourly fee they will incur and do not pick up the phone. We offer alternative fee arrangements that provide complete predictability, so you need never hesitate to call.