Directing the Winds of Change in Your Favor
Keeping the Turbines Turning and the Sunshine Captured
No matter how quickly the industry landscape or the rules may change, our attorneys know the territory so well that we can help you structure transactions for maximum success from the very beginning. To date, we have assisted clients with wind and solar projects in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Texas, Hawaii and Maryland. Among the ways we assist developers of renewable energy projects are:
- Representing both investors and operators in financing renewable energy projects.
- Representing developers with financing, contracting and project development.
- Securing grants for renewable energy projects.
- Representing wind energy companies in environmental due diligence.
- Advising on real estate and other corporate
- Advising on tax credits and incentives.
Understanding, Planning, Complying
With regulations from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and state regulators, knowing and complying with the rules gets more complicated every year. That’s why our attorneys and government relations professionals work closely with the all of the agencies that govern these large and growing markets. Among the many ways that we can assist you with a renewable energy project are:
- Advising you on federal and state renewables mandates.
- Obtaining the necessary approvals and permits from federal and state environmental agencies.
- Representing you in compliance with the Endangered Species Act and other environmental regulations at every level.
Avoiding & Resolving Conflicts
The rapid increase in renewable energy projects has resulted in a variety of types of litigation. In solar, customers have brought claims against providers and manufacturers for construction defects, false claims, deceptive practices, regulatory violations and product liability, among other claims. Claims in the wind industry have been environmental and regulatory in nature, but others have occurred, such as the case of a wind farm owner alleging that a power company improperly instructed the wind farm to curtail its output, which severely impacted the owner’s revenue.
In commercial and regulatory disputes, Buchanan has you covered. Our litigators work closely with our renewable energy attorneys to help you prevail in litigation, arbitration or any action by a regulatory authority.