Alan M. Seltzer focuses his practice on domestic and international electric, gas, water and transportation matters with a concentration on transactions and litigation/appellate matters before various state and federal courts and administrative agencies. He has actively represented public utilities and other stakeholders before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission for 39 years, particularly in the areas of electricity, gas, water and transportation.
His current emphasis is on obtaining the state regulatory approvals for the merger or acquisition of gas and electric utilities, and addressing the real estate, regulatory and financing phases of renewable energy project development. He also has recently represented the seller of a municipal wastewater system in proceedings before the Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission and a large refinery opposing the reversal of a major intrastate petroleum pipeline. He is Co-Chair of the firm's Power Generation, Renewable & Utility Practice Group.
In July 2015, Alan was appointed to the Siting and Routing Workgroup of the Pennsylvania Pipeline Infrastructure Task Force – a stakeholder-driven effort that will develop policies, guidelines and tools to assist in pipeline development, as well as long-term operation and maintenance. In this role, he worked collaboratively to develop best practices related to planning, sitting and routing oil and gas pipelines in ways that avoid, minimize or mitigate environmental and community impacts from pipelines across the Commonwealth.
Most recently, Alan has:
- Represented a private equity investor in due diligence matters involving the acquisition of water utilities in 13 states.
- Represented applicants in the merger or acquisition of gas and electric utilities.
- Represented several applicants in regulatory proceedings to site major intrastate and interstate transmission facilities.
- Represented developers of major Pennsylvania wind and solar projects.
- Represented tax equity investors in financing renewable energy projects.
He also has experience in a variety of matters, including:
- Representing utilities in complex retail utility rate cases.
- Defending utilities in rate and service matters before state regulatory agencies.
- Negotiating power supply and related contracts with utilities and other energy providers.
- Assisting competitive gas and electric suppliers obtain state licenses and related certifications.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Alan was a co-founding partner of Ryan, Russell, Ogden & Seltzer PC, a Central Pennsylvania-based law firm that primarily focused on energy, communications and utility matters.
Alan has been recognized in the environmental law category of The Best Lawyers© in America since 1997.
Temple University Beasley School of Law, J.D., 1978
Albright College, B.A., 1975, Political Science
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
American Bar Association
Federal Energy Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Berks County Bar Association
Ohio Oil & Gas Association
Endlich Law Club
Pennsylvania Institute for Children's Environmental Health, board member
Temple Oheb Sholom, board member, secretary
Hispanic Center of Reading, Pennsylvania, board member