How Joe Helps Clients
Joe Centeno, who is the co-chair of Buchanan’s Labor, Employment, Benefits & Immigration section, has a national practice which includes collective and class action litigation, employment litigation, labor relations, policies, leave, termination of employment, joint employment, diversity strategy, Title IX and executive employment agreements. He represents public and private employers in matters relating to labor organizing, negotiations, arbitrations and issues before the National Labor Relations Board.
Joe counsels employers on virtually all employment and labor related laws and regulations. He has extensive jury trial experience and has been lead trial counsel in numerous high stakes trials. He also has broad experience in defending claims before state and federal agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, where he served as a Commissioner by mayoral appointment.
Joe is also passionate about increasing diversity in the legal profession. He has served as the President of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association and currently serves on the Comcast NBCUniversal Joint Diversity Council and as Outside General Counsel to the Minority Corporate Counsel Association.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients can expect highly responsive, thoughtful and strategic guidance and advocacy from Joe. Joe is passionately client-focused and brings almost 25 years of legal, human resources, and business experience to every matter.
Deeds, not words.
Outside the Office
Joe enjoys yoga, golf and his friends and family. He has taken multiple overseas golf trips and he is a member of a baseball fantasy league that began in law school and continues to this day.
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Diversity In the Bar publication’s “Best of the Best” Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Fellow, Temple Academy of Advocacy
- Filipino American Association of Philadelphia, Inc. (FAAPI) Centennial Award for Public Interest Law (2012)
- Named as one of Pennsylvania's "Super Lawyers®" (2007, 2009-2018)
- The Legal Intelligencer, Diverse Attorney of the Year, 2011
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Best Under 40, 2006
- Represented major employers in FLSA collective and class actions for “misclassification” and “off the clock” claims.
- Represented major financial institution in collective action alleging retaliation relating to U-5 filings and discriminatory discharge.
- Represented global manufacturing company in multiple labor arbitrations.
- Represented global supply company in restrictive covenant litigation.
- Represented national health care company in multi-jurisdictional labor and employment matters.
- Represented global manufacturing company in litigation brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Special Labor Counsel to municipalities and townships as lead negotiator for collective bargaining agreements.
- Represented a major university in handling federal employment discrimination litigation.
- Represented a national retailer in negotiating and drafting an employment agreement for the CEO.
Boston College Law School, J.D.
Amherst College, B.A., cum laude
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
Minority Corporate Council Association, Outside General Counsel and Assistant Secretary
Comcast-NBCU Joint Diversity Council, Member
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, President (2009-2010), Nominations Committee and Leadership Advisory Council
Commissioner, Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations (2004)
Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Pennsylvania, President (2005)
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Minority Bar Committee, Member
Pennsylvania Bar Association, Judicial Independence Committee, Member
Philadelphia Bar Association, Judicial Selection and Retention Committee
Philadelphia Bar Association, Board of Governors (2005-2006)
Philadelphia Diversity Law Group, Board Member
National Employment Law Council, Board Member
Don Liu Scholarship, Scholar Section Committee and Board Member
American Bar Association, Chairperson to Young Lawyer's Subcommittee to the Employment and Labor Relations Committee (Litigation Section)
National Association of College and University Attorneys
Amherst College Alumni Association
Homeless Advocacy Project