How Caroline Helps Clients
Caroline focuses her practice on complex commercial litigation, labor and employment litigation, and employment counseling and training.
Caroline’s commercial litigation experience includes a variety of high stakes matters in federal and state courts, including contractual disputes, antitrust claims, misappropriation of trade secrets, and other business tort claims. She also counsels clients through challenging federal and state government investigations.
On the employment side, Caroline aggressively defends employers across the country against class action, collective action, and single-plaintiff employment-related claims in federal and state courts as well as before administrative agencies. Her experience includes defending clients against employment discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower, and wage and hour claims. She also routinely conducts internal employment investigations.
Caroline also provides practical, straightforward advice to employers to avoid litigation. She assists clients with drafting effective employee policies and handbooks, hiring and classification issues, drug and alcohol testing procedures, navigating accommodation and leave requests, conducting investigations, disciplinary actions and terminations, and negotiating severance agreements. She also regularly conducts management training on various employment topics including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and wage payment and collection laws.
Caroline has been selected for the 2023 North Carolina Rising Stars list, a distinction that only the top 2.5% of attorneys receive. She was also recognized by Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch in 2024 in the areas of Commercial Litigation and Litigation – Labor & Employment .
What Clients Can Expect
Caroline is an avid listener and a creative problem solver. She partners with her clients to fully understand their businesses and tailors her approach to resolve their problems accordingly. Her clients describe her as responsive, diligent, and solution oriented.
Outside the Office
Caroline is a North Carolina native and was thrilled to return to her home state to practice upon her graduation from Georgetown. When she’s not working, Caroline enjoys spending time with her husband and young daughter, traveling to the Caribbean, and reading novels.
- Counsel to generic drug company in wide-ranging litigation by government and private plaintiffs alleging an industry-wide conspiracy to fix prices for generic drugs.
- Counsel to multiple clients across several industries for national COVID-19 and vaccine-related counseling and litigation.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in successful resolution of multi-district federal litigation concerning restrictive covenant, trade secret, and false advertising claims.
- Defended university-affiliated research center in discrimination claims brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and 42 U.S.C. § 1981 in the District of Maryland, which resulted in summary judgment on all claims in favor of client and affirmance on appeal before the Fourth Circuit.
- Defended breach of contract claims brought by a former employee against former CEO in his personal capacity in the Western District of North Carolina, which resulted in dismissal of all claims on motion to dismiss. Obtained dismissal of appeal to Fourth Circuit on procedural grounds.
- Defended national grocery chain in a series of aggressively targeted employment discrimination and wage & hour claims, obtaining early resolution of claims.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2016
North Carolina State University, B.A., 2012, Spanish Language and Literature
- North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
North Carolina State Bar Association
Mecklenburg County Bar Association