Brian H. Simmons concentrates his practice in many types of complex commercial litigation matters with a particular emphasis on disputes related to construction and breaches of contract, as well as the exploration, development and production of Marcellus Shale natural gas reserves throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Brian is co-chair of the Construction Litigation practice group.
More recently, he has devoted a substantial amount of time to defending a number of retail store, bank, restaurant and university clients against class action and single plaintiff lawsuits alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Brian also routinely represents and advises private entities and governmental agencies in matters involving large to mid-sized construction projects and public procurement issues. The following are some of the examples of Brian's experience in these areas:
- Represented the Pittsburgh Steelers in construction disputes related to Heinz Field.
- Represented the August Wilson Center for African American Culture in the construction of its facility in Pittsburgh's Cultural District.
- Represented the Sports & Exhibition Authority of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County in construction disputes related to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, the PPG Paints Arena, and Pittsburgh’s North Shore Parking Garage.
- Represented large casinos in construction disputes.
- Represented the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, local municipalities and private entities in public bidding disputes.
- Represented and continues to represent numerous owners, general contractors and subcontractors in complex construction disputes, including disputes involving delay damages and lost productivity claims.
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® consistently since 2020 under the Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Construction categories.
In addition to his litigation activities, Brian spends a significant amount of time on generally advising local and international professional and amateur sports organizations such as the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Western Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic League (WPIAL), the National Physique Committee, and the IFBB Professional League.
Recognized for his outstanding client service and leadership within the legal community, Brian was named to the 2014 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list and was noted as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Star consecutively from 2005 to 2013.
Throughout his career, Brian has also been actively involved with the Pennsylvania Bar Association by serving on its House of Delegates for over 5 years and as the Secretary, Treasurer, Vice Chair and Chair of the PBA’s Civil Litigation Section.
While in law school, Brian served as a research assistant to Dean Nicholas P. Cafardi and Associate Dean John T. Rago of Duquesne University’s School of Law. He also served as a law clerk to The Honorable John F. Bell and The Honorable Thomas J. Terputac, both senior judges on the Washington County Court of Common Pleas, Pennsylvania, from 1997-1998.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 1999, cum laude
Duquesne University, B.S., 1995, cum laude, Political Science with a Certificate in Business
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
McKees Rocks Legal Clinic, pro bono counsel