Brian S. Novosel handles a range of corporate and business transactions in his practice, including public offerings, private placements of debt and equity-based securities (both public and private), corporate governance issues, SEC compliance issues and venture capital financings.
Brian handles public offerings of securities on the issuer side and is also experienced in 144A private placements of equity and high-yield debt securities. In addition, he often works closely with public company issuers on securities law compliance, general corporate guidance and governance issues.
His mergers and acquisitions practice – including asset transactions, stock transactions and mergers – comprises both public and private transactions ranging from the million-dollar level to multibillion-dollar values.
With an understanding of both sides of the capital-raising process in the private sector, Brian acts as counsel for both companies and venture capital investors. He represents private equity funds in their formation as well as in their investments in portfolio companies. He also assists emerging private companies with financing matters (and other general corporate matters) from formation through a company's exit.
Brian was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2019.
A cross-section of Brian's past representations include:
- Represented Cassidy Turley, a national commercial real estate services company in five acquisitions over a 12 month period, including acquisitions in Northern California, Southern California, Tampa, Denver and Phoenix; and in its sale to a consortium of private equity firms led by TPG Capital which created a global top-three commercial real estate services company that now operates under the DTZ brand.
- Represented CNX Gas Corporation, a subsidiary of CONSOL Energy, Inc., in an agented private placement valued at approximately $420 million and CNX Gas' subsequent initial public registration of its common stock.
- Represented a hotel-resort company in connection with various private securities offerings, including a $60 million private placement of common equity, a $125 million private placement of equity, a $250 million sale of common equity to strategic buyer, a $190 private placement of preferred equity and a $675 million 144A bond offering.
- Represented a public global manufacturer and supplier of tooling and other products in the sale of one of its lines of business to another public company in a deal valued at approximately $350 million.
- Represented a private full-service real estate firm in its ultimate sale to a strategic buyer in a transaction valued at approximately $50 million.
- Represented Dick's Sporting Goods in its initial public offering of its common stock.
- Represented many private companies in their fundraising efforts, acquisitions and general corporate matters.
- Provided counsel in the formation of several private equity funds and representing various private equity funds in their investments in portfolio companies.