How Melissa Helps Clients
Melissa draws from her experiences as a former prosecutor, local elected official, and elected state representative to bring unique perspectives and adept legal solutions to her clients who range from public or privately owned companies, partnerships, healthcare systems, and insurance companies to nonprofit and governmental entities. Melissa is an accomplished litigator, battle-tested trial attorney, and savvy advocate who prides herself on helping her clients protect their bottom line, culture, and viability.
Melissa represents companies with a variety of employment matters including trade secret protection, restrictive covenant litigation, race, sex, religion and other unlawful harassment investigations and litigation, Family and Medical Leave and Americans with Disabilities Act counseling and litigation, labor relations and grievance arbitrations, and general matters affecting the employment relationship such as employment agreements, handbooks, and separation agreements. Melissa also represents ERISA plan fiduciaries and administrators of employer-sponsored welfare benefit plans.
I am a multi-dimensional attorney with keen attention to detail and a drive for finding the practical solution to any problem.
What Clients Can Expect
Melissa is passionate about assisting clients to effectively achieve their strategic objectives in the most efficient manner. She is a strong communicator who is perceptive in identifying the needs of a given situation. Melissa embraces the concept that knowledge is power. She quickly gets to work using her analytical and investigative skills to identify and assess the issue, offer strategic solutions, and decisively execute the plan to completion.
Outside the Office
Melissa enjoys spending her time out of the office with her family which often leads her to various sidelines cheering on or coaching her children in multiple seasonal sports. Melissa was an All-American lacrosse player in college and finds special joy watching her kids play with the same grit and grace as she did on the field. Melissa tries to seize any sports-free weekends to spend time with her extended family adventuring on hikes or bringing everyone together for Sunday dinner.
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2011 – 2022
- Top 50 Female Lawyers, 2017 – 2018
- Super Lawyer, Rising Star, 2005 – 2007
- Montgomery County Chamber of Commerce’s Wynn Group’s Award for Women’s Leadership Excellence
- Philadelphia Business Journal, 40 Under 40
- Obtained summary judgment for employer/plan administrator and insurer in ERISA wrongful denial and breach of fiduciary duty action by former employee.
- Obtained injunction against former employees for financial institution protecting its confidential and proprietary information.
- Trial counsel for a Western Pennsylvania municipality accused of violating the Americans with Disabilities Act in its zoning practices.
- Obtained judgment for a hospital in a breach of contract action filed by a former physician.
- Represented a real estate development company and its managing member in a breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty action alleging a misallocation of profits.
- Counseled an accounting firm in a business acquisition with onboarding acquired employees.
Temple University Beasley School of Law, LL.M., 2002, with honors
Widener University School of Law, J.D., 1995
Denison University, B.A., 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- The Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania; Senior Hearing Committee Member (2011 – 2017, 2019 – present)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Montgomery Bar Association, Chair of the Government Relations Committee
- DRI-Voice of the Defense Bar, Member
- Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association – Board of Directors (2014 – present)
- Elected Office & Chairman – Whitpain Township Board of Supervisors (2012 – 2017; interim appt. 2019)
- Vice-President – Montgomery County Association of Township Officials (2012 – 2017)
- Elected PA State Representative – 148th Legislative District (2002 – 2004)