How Jan Helps Clients
Jan represents many large healthcare institutions in managing transactions, system restructurings, medical staff matters and other legal issues. Representatively, Jan has worked with hospitals and long-term care clients, handling acquisitions and divestitures in excess of $1 billion.
Jan is well-versed in the changing healthcare landscape. He was involved in the formation of Allegheny Health Network and has helped many large healthcare institutions manage complex transactions, essential business relationships, internal operational arrangements, and other legal issues.
He advises clients regarding difficult governance and other Board-related matters, including joint ventures and physician practice acquisitions. He also assists clients with complex healthcare regulatory analysis, including fraud and abuse compliance.
Jan also counsels clients in data security and privacy to help them meet the unique compliance challenges of HIPAA and the HITECH Act.
What Clients Can Expect
Jan is a calming presence in difficult negotiations. His knowledge of the industry paired with strong communication and project management skills make him a responsive and reliable colleague in complex legal matters.
Beyond knowing the law and understanding a client's business, the two most important things an attorney can do are to communicate and follow up.
He has worked with clients at hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, personal care homes, CCRCs, pharmaceutical companies, durable medical equipment suppliers and other health care providers and suppliers throughout the United States.
When he’s not working, Jan enjoys family time and athletic activities. As an undergraduate at the University of Michigan, Jan served on the student athlete advisory council and swam as a member of the 1995 NCAA champion swimming and diving team.
Jan was born in Saarbrücken, which was then part of West Germany. He emigrated to the U.S. as a child and grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Kansas City, Kansas; and South Bend, Indiana.
Hospitals and Health Systems
- Served as counsel in the formation of a regional integrated delivery system, through the representation of a regional health system in the acquisition of three local health systems in less than one year.
- Served as counsel to an integrated delivery network serving Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia in its acquisition of a not-for-profit hospital in Pennsylvania as well as in the establishment of an inpatient rehabilitation joint venture.
- Led acquisition by a large regional health system of a New York-based health system.
- Served as counsel to Butler Health System in its acquisition of Clarion Healthcare System.
- Served as counsel in the sale of The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh to UPMC Health System.
- Served as counsel in the acquisition of Mercy Jeannette Hospital in Jeannette, PA by Excela Health Westmoreland Hospital.
- Represented a large religiously affiliated regional health system in a consolidation transaction resulting in one of the nation’s largest religiously affiliated health systems.
- Represented a Pennsylvania-based integrated health system in a joint acquisition of a minority interest in an acute care, not-for-profit hospital based in Warren, PA. Also represented this integrated health system in the establishment of a joint venture with an affiliate of one of the United States' largest providers of post-acute healthcare services.
- Member of the team representing UPMC Braddock before the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, UPMC-Braddock Hospital v. Sebelius, 592 F.3d 427 (Jan. 20, 2010), wherein the Third Circuit vacated the District Court's decision entering summary judgment for the defendant and remanded the case for further proceedings.
Senior Living and Long-Term Care
- Represented a Texas-based, private-equity backed company with 50+ skilled nursing and rehabilitation centers in the sale of assets and operations of numerous skilled nursing, long term care, and hospice facilities.
- Led the acquisition of 20 skilled nursing facilities and ancillary long term care businesses by a Tennessee-based long-term care provider.
- Represented a senior living community, specializing in independent living, personal care, nursing, rehabilitation and memory support, in their affiliation with the senior communities division of a Pittsburgh, PA based health care provider and insurer.
- Represented a Pennsylvania personal care home in its sale and complex licensure matters related to the sale.
- Served as counsel to a senior living provider in Pennsylvania in the transfer of its assets to another religiously affiliated senior care center in Pennsylvania.
Physician Practices, Home Health, and Ancillary Services
- Served as lead attorney in the acquisition of numerous physician practices and providers by a Western Pennsylvania-based hospital, with 15 closings in one calendar year.
- Represented a home health and hospice services provider in the formation of a joint venture among local health care providers, and the acquisition by the newly formed joint venture of the assets of another home health provider.
- Served as counsel to a medical facility located in Erie, PA in the sale of assets of a home health and hospice entity and the purchase of an interest of an Erie based home healthcare and hospice association.
- Served a regional blood service provider in its affiliations with Arizona, Tennessee and Virginia-based providers of blood products and services.
- Served as lead health care diligence attorney in the acquisition of a specialty pharmacy by a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company.
- Represented regional health systems in the joint-acquisition of an ownership interest in a durable medical equipment supplier.
- Served as counsel to a local ancillary services provider in the acquisition of the assets of a home infusion company.
- Served as counsel to one of the nation’s foremost organizations specializing in transfusion medicine in their affiliation with another transfusion medicine organization.
Jan was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® consistently since 2020 under the Health Care Law category.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1999
University of Michigan, B.A., 1996
Health Law Section, Allegheny County Bar Association
Baptist Homes Society, Board of Directors, served as Board chair from 2011-2016