How Chris Helps Clients
From the start of any engagement, Chris works to fully understand a client's business and their desired outcomes. He then applies proven ability and in-depth experience to the matter. Throughout, Chris keeps an open mind, welcoming new ideas and working to discover and implement innovative solutions.
At the trial court and on appeal, Chris litigated the first case in the Third Circuit recognizing "ascertainability" as an inherent requirement for class certification.
Chris has had significant success in defending consumer-fraud and false-advertising claims, including numerous multi-state and nationwide class actions. He’s obtained pre-answer dismissal and summary judgment victories in defense of consumer class actions and employment-discrimination claims.
I take what I do seriously but not who I am, so expect a lawyer with a sense of humor.
Chris has also represented clients in a broad range of matters, including enforcement of post-employment restrictions, employee disloyalty claims, and actions under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and the New Jersey Conscientious Employee Protection Act.
Chris serves as Office Head of the firm's Newark office.
What Clients Can Expect
Chris is a responsive and communicative lawyer who genuinely cares about his clients and their business success.
Although he has been a lawyer for more than two decades, he still enjoys the learning process that takes place when getting to know a new client, learning about the issues they face, how their business operates, and how Buchanan can help.
Outside the Office
Chris enjoys spending times with his wife, their two daughters, and their dogs (who have their own Instagram accounts). He also likes to putter around the house: fixing, building, and sometimes brewing.
- Co-chaired a jury trial in the District of Colorado on behalf of an international consulting firm, obtaining a verdict in its favor against a former senior executive for breach of employment contract and violation of fiduciary duties, which was fully affirmed by the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. King v. PA Consulting, 485 F.3d 577 (10th Cir. 2007).
- New Jersey Super Lawyers list, (2015 & 2016); Rising Stars list (2006 & 2007).
- AV® Preeminent distinction, the highest available mark for professional excellence from Martindale-Hubbell’s® Peer Review Ratings.
- Pre-answer dismissals of consumer class actions under state and federal law.
- Summary judgment dismissal of claims for hostile work environment and discrimination on the basis of race and gender filed against a railroad client in federal court.
- A 16-day bench trial prevailing on claim of shareholder oppression by former CEO and minority shareholder.
- Defense of alleged Title VII and state anti-discrimination law, “whistleblower” and employment contract claims asserted against various clients.
- Constructive resolution of the claims of a life beneficiary under a family trust in a matter before the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division.
- Resolution of local real estate tax appeals on behalf of several clients, resulting in reduced valuations and property tax obligations.
- Defense of a computer manufacturer in state and federal court breach of contract actions.
- Before joining Buchanan, Chris served as a Deputy Attorney General for the State of New Jersey.
- While in law school, Chris was an executive editor of the Legislative Research Bureau.
- Served as judicial law clerk to the Hon. Marie L. Garibaldi of the New Jersey Supreme Court during the 1994-95 court terms.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1994, cum laude
Johns Hopkins University, B.A., 1988
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
American Bar Association Section of Antitrust & Consumer Protection
New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section and Special Committee on Class Actions
District Ethics Committee, New Jersey Supreme Court (2003–2011)
Alumni Association – Class Reunion Committee, Johns Hopkins University
Hudson County (NJ) Boys & Girls Clubs, former vice president of Board of Trustees
Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church, former Vestry member and Warden (2013-present)
Through Human Rights First, assisting asylum seeker to obtain U.S. citizenship.