How Bryan Helps Clients
Bryan's approach is to understand the client's goals; provide practical, business-oriented legal advice; and share that advice in a manner the client can understand.
Bryan has more than 24 years of experience in all areas of patent, trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secret law, with extensive experience in patent preparation and prosecution (both utility and design) before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, as well as international and foreign patent offices. He also has experience in a very wide range of technologies.
I think it's important to learn about the client's entire business, to be able to discern how what we are doing might impact other areas of the enterprise.
In addition, Bryan:
- Helps clients develop intellectual property (IP) programs and strategies.
- Advises companies on patent protection in emerging technology fields.
- Performs due diligence investigations, for IP issues in asset purchases and merger and acquisition transactions.
- Conducts studies and advises clients on avoiding infringement of competitors' patents.
- Negotiates and drafts various licenses and other agreements.
- Conducts trademark searches, registers trademarks and service marks and handles trademark disputes.
- Handles opposition and cancellation matters.
- Represents clients in patent and trademark infringement matters.
What Clients Can Expect
Bryan instills confidence in clients. He understands their goals and their business; he is a straightforward, no-nonsense communicator; and he is exceptionally responsive. Clients recognize that Bryan is looking out for their business, their ideas and their best interests.
Outside the Office
Bryan likes to take advantage of the abundance of outdoor activities that are available in his home state of Pennsylvania. Depending on the season, he's likely to be found golfing, hunting or fishing.
- Bryan has experience in a very wide range of technologies, including business methods and computer software and systems relating to Internet commerce and advertising methods, financial management systems, debit card transaction systems, telecommunications management and wireless communications systems, computer networks; autonomous mobile robot technology, cellular telephones and systems, disk drive and microprocessor-related technologies, semiconductor chip design, medical devices, electrode catheters, wearable defibrillators, implantable medical devices, healthcare record management, RFID systems, mineral separation systems, water desalination and purification systems, biogas conditioning systems, hazardous spill cleanup equipment, thermal transpiration devices, aluminum-based alloys, agricultural compositions, point of purchase displays and railcar dynamic control products.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 1994
University of Dayton, B.S.E.E., 1990, magna cum laude
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Allegheny County Bar Association
American Bar Association Section of International Law
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
KidsVoice, assist with protecting trademark and licensing issues.
Athena International, assist with protecting trademark and licensing issues