Sam devotes his practice to trademark, copyright, unfair competition and advertising issues with a focus on global strategy, counseling, disputes, litigation and licensing. For more than 25 years, he has managed and directed a team for some of the world’s most respected brands. Sam is co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property section and chair of the Trademark Group.
How Sam Helps Clients
Sam works closely with clients as a collaborative team focused on achieving a common goal. He manages and directs trademark and copyright enforcements, online and social media take-down actions, foreign anti-counterfeiting actions, domain name arbitration proceedings, large global trademark portfolios, licensing and due diligence. He has obtained injunctive relief against client competitors in trademark infringement litigation.
Sam also focuses his practice on counseling domestic and international clients in all aspects of trademark law, including the entire process of selecting and securing domestic and international trademarks. He has extensive experience in inter partes proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has represented clients in federal court and International Trade Commission litigation on complex trademark matters and unfair competition issues.
He is fluent in Arabic.
For many businesses, intellectual property means everything. Being selected to protect it for them is not only an honor, it's a humbling expression of trust.
Sam is consistently recognized as one of the country’s top trademark lawyers by both in-house counsel and his peers, and in various publications, including Managing Intellectual Property Today, which has honored Sam with IP Star recognition since 2013. Also recognized for his overall intellectual property practice, Sam was included in Virginia Business magazine’s “The Legal Elite” on numerous occasions. Since 2017, Sam has been named among the world's leading trademark professionals in the World Trademark Review 1000: “Sam is extremely responsive and exceptionally helpful in navigating domestic and international trademark issues. He always meets deadlines and gives neat, concise and valuable opinions.”
Sam is a frequent speaker on intellectual property topics before the International Trademark Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the AIPPI - Japan, the Intellectual Property Owner’s Association, the Danish Patent and Trademark Office and the American Bar Association.
- Nationstar Mortgage v. Ahmad, 112 U.S.P.Q.2d 1361 (TTAB): successfully represented Opposer in the only Trademark Trial and Appeal Board case finding fraud on the part of Applicant since Federal Circuit’s decision in Bose.
- RevZilla Motorsports, LLC v. Powersports Plus, LLC, Opposition No. 91212858 (TTAB): favorable decision before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board on behalf of Applicant, finding no likelihood of confusion between the marks REVZILLA and PARTZILLA.
- Adams & Brooks, Inc. v. Morris National, Inc., Cancellation No. 92052158 (TTAB): favorable decision from Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and appeal to the Federal Circuit holding.
- Precision Franchising LLC (PFL) v. Khalid, (E.D. Va), successfully represented Plaintiff in enforcing the PRECISION TUNE mark.
- Raising Cane’s USA, L.L.C. v. Fifty-Six Hope Road Music Limited, (M.D. La) No 3:13-cv-008-BAI SCR; Cancellation No. 92053461, successfully represented the owner of ONE LOVE mark against claims of infringement.
- Bourdeau Brothers v. United States International Trade Commission (Fed. Cir.): won affirmance from Federal Circuit Court of Appeals of general exclusion order and cease and desist orders for Deere & Company involving "gray market" and other imported goods infringing Deere's famous green and yellow trademarks.
- Waterford Wedgwood PLC v. Forma-Kutzscher Gmbh, Opp. No. 91123735 (TTAB): represented Waterford Wedgwood PLC against infringement of its industry leading LISMORE mark and prevented registration of LISA MORI.
- In the Matter of Certain Agricultural Machines and Components Thereof, No. 337-TA-487. Obtained general exclusion order and cease and desist orders for Deere & Company in matter involving "gray market" and other imported goods infringing Deere's famous green and yellow trademarks.
- General Conference Corporation of Seventh Day Adventists v. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services and National Institutes of Health (D. D.C.). Represented trademark owner against alleged infringer.
- Bush Brothers & Co., Inc. v. Nash Finch Co., No. 02-1621-SLR (D. Del. ). Protection of famous trade dress of Bush's beans.
- Gus Sclafani Corp. v. Violet Packing Co., Cancellation Nos. 25,837 and 27,434; Opposition No.106,710, 2002 TTAB Lexis 107 (TTAB ), aff'd 2003 U.S. App. Lexis 1103, Fed.Cir. 2003. Obtained favorable ruling from the TTAB concerning client's priority of use.
- Deere & Co. v. MTD Products, Inc., No. 00-CV-596 (LMM), 2001 U.S. Dist. Lexis 5190, S.D.N.Y. 2000. Represented Deere & Company in a matter protecting Deere's famous green and yellow trade dress.
- Advance Stores Co. v. Refinishing Specialties,188 F.3d 408 (6th Cir. ). Preserved on appeal a permanent injunction restricting a trademark use to a single county.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1987, Associate Editor of the Georgetown Journal of Law and Technology
Elon University, B.A., 1983, cum laude, Business Administration
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Board Member, Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
Executive Committee, Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce
USPTO Committee, International Trademark Association (INTA)
Trademark Committee, Intellectual Property Owners Association
Law School Advisory Board, Elon University
Virginia State Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar
Maryland State Bar Association
Shelter House of Fairfax County
Washington Lawyers for the Arts