How Sam Helps Clients
Bassam Ibrahim (Sam) is one of the leaders of the firm’s intellectual property practice. He has represented clients in trademark, copyright, and unfair competition issues for more than 25 years.
Representing a diverse range of clients in many business segments, Sam’s practice includes all aspects of trademark and unfair competition law, including trademark infringement and counterfeiting. He litigates cases involving conventional trademarks, domain names, trade names, trade dress, product configurations, gray-market products and counterfeit products in federal courts throughout the United States. His clients include pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, financial services institutions, non-profit organizations, food product companies, and consumer product companies, among others.
Having significant experience in all aspects of domestic and foreign trademark protection, including trademark portfolio management, Sam assists clients in developing effective worldwide strategies for clearing, prosecution, establishing and enforcing their trademark rights. He also handles trademark matters in U.S. district courts, cancellation and opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and appeal proceedings before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. He counsels clients in the development, licensing and protection of intellectual property worldwide, and has expertise representing intellectual property interests in complex mergers and acquisitions.
For many businesses, intellectual property means everything. Being selected to protect it for them is not only an honor, it's a humbling expression of trust.
Sam has been consistently recognized as one of the country’s top trademark lawyers by both in-house counsel and his peers, and in various publications, including Managing Intellectual Property Today, which has honored Sam with IP Star recognition since 2013. Also recognized for his overall intellectual property practice, Sam was included in Virginia Business magazine’s “The Legal Elite” on numerous occasions. In 2018, Sam was named among the world's leading trademark professionals in the World Trademark Review 1000: "He is very responsive and creative in his solutions. He consistently offers practical and sound advice and, importantly, has a keen attention to cost control."
Sam is a frequent speaker on intellectual property topics before the International Trademark Association, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the AIPPI - Japan, the Intellectual Property Owner’s Association, the Danish Patent and Trademark Office and the American Bar Association.
- National Fuel Gas Company v. National Fuel Marketing. Obtained a settlement for client National Fuel Gas Company in a trademark infringement case concerning the NATIONAL FUEL trademark. (M.D. Penn).
- In the Matter of Certain Agricultural Machines and Components Thereof, No. 337-TA-487. Obtained general exclusion order and cease and desist orders for Deere & Company in matter involving "gray market" and other imported goods infringing Deere's famous green and yellow trademarks and JOHN DEERE trademark.
- Radlo Foods, LLC v. Born Free, Inc. (D. Del.). Represented owner of BORN FREE trademark.
- General Conference Corporation of Seventh Day Adventists v. U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services and National Institutes of Health (D. D.C.). Represented trademark owner against alleged infringer.
- Waterford Wedgewood PLC v. Forma-Kutzscher Gmbh, Opposition No. 123,735. Represented Waterford against infringement of its leading LISMORE brand for crystal.
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1987, Associate Editor of the Georgetown Journal of Law and Technology
Elon University, B.A., 1983, cum laude, Business Administration
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Chairman, Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce Strategic Growth Committee
Executive Committee, Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
Member/Roundtable Committee, International Trademark Association (INTA)
Law School Advisory Board, Elon University
U.S. Trademark Law Committee, Intellectual Property Owners Association
Trademark Licensing Committee, Licensing Executives Society
Virginia State Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar
Maryland State Bar Association
Washington Lawyers for the Arts