Sean Girdwood concentrates on debt financing transactions, representing financial institutions in syndicated and bilateral credit facilities. He also serves as borrower's counsel, and in that capacity has represented local and national manufacturing and service companies in a variety of debt financings. Because of his extensive experience, Sean is the co-chair of the Firm's Finance Industry Team and he also serves in various key roles for some of Buchanan’s largest financial institutions’ client teams. Although based in the firm’s Pittsburgh office, Sean’s practice extends to clients in Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, Detroit and Charlotte as well.
How Sean Helps Clients
Sean works closely with financial institutions and borrowers on all types of syndicated and bilateral credit facilities, including:
- Secured and unsecured loan transactions
- Asset-based financing
- Acquisition financing
- Leveraged financing
- Mezzanine financing (including equity co-invest transactions)
- Unitranche financing
The transactions he has completed span a wide variety of industries, including, but not limited to specialty manufacturing, trucking and transportation, healthcare (including senior care), salt mining, timber, technology and various services and many have involved multiple currencies and cross-border issues.
What Clients Can Expect
Sean’s clients know that he will follow their lead in finding the right approach to every transaction. They also know that his practical counsel – whether as part of a Buchanan team working on their transaction(s) or as the only attorney on the matter, will result in getting the deal done. They also appreciate Sean’s easy-going, collaborative style, and he has been accused of being fun to work with.
Sean's finance experience has made him a frequent presenter on various capital markets and related loan transaction issues at client training programs and continuing legal education seminars. He is recognized as a leading lawyer in banking and finance by Chambers USA in 2019. He has also been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2020 edition for Commercial and Finance Law.
Outside the Office
Outside the office, Sean loves to spend time with his family, coach youth sports, and exercise. He is “somewhat of an exercise/endurance junkie” who has completed a full Iron Distance Triathlon. Had Sean displayed a greater aptitude for the sciences as a youth, his love of the ocean might have led him to marine biology instead of law. Sean’s clients are grateful for the path he chose.
- Served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in connection with an $800 million credit facility for an American marketing and sales services company headquartered in the Southeast United States, the proceeds of which were used for working capital, on-going dividends and permitted acquisitions.
- Served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in connection with a $150 million credit facility for a privately-held metal manufacturing company, the proceeds of which were used for a recapitalization of the company.
- Served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in connection with a $115 million credit facility for a chemical manufacturer and distributor with operations in both the United States and Canada, the proceeds of which were used to refinance existing debt, to pay a dividend and for working capital and capital expenditures.
- Served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in connection with a $80M credit facility for a private equity owned distributor of pet products, the proceeds of which were used for the acquisition of certain related companies.
- Served as counsel to the administrative agent and lead arranger in connection with a $37M credit facility for a private equity owned manufacturer of transparent armor, advanced lighting and accessories for military tactical wheeled vehicles, security vehicles and law enforcement vehicles, the proceeds of which were used to refinance existing debt and for the acquisition of certain related companies.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 1998, cum laude
West Virginia University, B.A., 1995, magna cum laude
Allegheny County Bar Association
Association for Corporate Growth, Pittsburgh Chapter