How Bob Helps Clients
Bob works with clients in the chemical industry to preserve and defend their unique ideas.
He focuses his practice on patent portfolio management, including counseling, evaluation, procurement, and rendering validity and infringement opinions. His experience also includes the highly specialized practice of reexamination.
Bob's technical expertise pertains to polymer chemistry, including biodegradable polymers, synthetic fibers, petroleum chemistry, health care technology, pharmaceuticals, solvent-based and solvent-less coating compositions, metallurgy and inorganic chemistry.
As a former patent examiner at the United States Patent and Trademark Office and a former law clerk at the United States Patent and Trademark Office Board of Appeals, Bob is able to offer additional insight and guidance on key processes.
Before Buchanan, Bob was a partner with Burns, Doane, Swecker & Mathis, one of the oldest and largest law firms in the United States focusing exclusively on intellectual property until its lawyers and other professionals joined Buchanan in 2005. He is a past member of the firm's Board of Directors.
What Clients Can Expect
Bob is exceptionally knowledgeable about U.S. patent law and the markets in which his clients compete. He works closely with each client to help them protect ideas and leverage innovation to support broader business goals.
Clients find that he is a reliable colleague, quick to respond to inquiries and very attentive to the details, complexities and nuances of intellectual property projects.
I find the intersection of technology and the law inspiring. And I believe that you need to walk both roads to succeed in IP.
Bob also has elementary knowledge of French and Japanese.
Outside the Office
Bob and his wife enjoy traveling. They like to explore places rich in history and architecture, like Rome or Paris. They also love traveling shorter distances to better understand current events.
- Profiled in the 2012, 2013, 2015, 2018, 2019 and 2020 editions of IAM’s Patent 1000 list, the best-in-class listing of patent prosecution, licensing and litigation practitioners.
- Recognized as a Managing Intellectual Property IP Star in 2013, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2022.
- Selected for inclusion on The Best Lawyers in America list in the category of Litigation — Intellectual Property in 2024.
- Lectured on "Reexamination & Reissue — Prosecution and Litigation Practice" for the Patent Resources Group.
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1977
Cornell University, B.S.Ch.E., 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark
American Bar Association Section of International Law
American Intellectual Property Law Association
District of Columbia Bar
Patent Lawyers' Club of Washington, D.C.