Practical Tax Advice to Maximize Your Return on Real Estate
The tax issues present in real estate ownership, development, financing and disposition are varied and complex. Our real estate tax attorneys help real estate owners, developers and investors navigate tax considerations that arise in all types of real estate transactions. We can develop effective and practical tax structures and solutions in the acquisition, financing, leasing, ownership, operation and disposition of all types of real estate.
We collaborate closely with our real estate finance attorneys to counsel clients on all aspects of real estate, ownership, development and investment, including:
- Determining the proper form of entity so that we can develop a structure to meet your business and economic objectives.
- Developing structures to maximize debt and equity financings.
- Structuring the acquisition, development and disposition of real estate.
- Investor versus dealer issues.
- Section 1031 like-kind exchanges.
- Tax-deferred condemnations.
- Opportunities for expensing, accelerated and bonus depreciation, and tax credits.
- Depreciation recapture.
- Involuntary conversions.
- Navigating passive loss and at-risk rules.
- Installment sales.
- Residential and commercial leases.
- Tax advice to buyers and sellers with respect to property tax and transfer tax issues associated with real estate transfers.
- Treatment of various types of U.S. real estate investment by foreign individuals and businesses to avoid or minimize the effect of the FIRPTA rules.
Please also see the Real Estate Taxation page under Real Estate for information on transfer and recordation tax issues.