Board Certified in Real Estate Law by The Florida Bar, Adele I. Stone is one of South Florida’s most knowledgeable and experienced real estate attorneys, bringing over 30 years of legal experience to every engagement. She diligently tracks trends in the commercial sector, including recent case law and new and proposed legislation, in order to help her real estate clients maximize their desired outcomes. Adele serves as the Office Head for Buchanan's Fort Lauderdale office.
In addition to her real estate practice, she also has built a robust business law practice, including the structuring of new entities, preparation of business agreements and asset based transactions. She is also an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Adele works closely with real estate owners, investors, developers, landlords, tenants and individual clients in the following areas:
- Acquisition and disposition strategies
- Complex commercial purchases and sales
- Commercial loans, including acquisition, development and construction loans
- Lease agreements for office, retail and industrial spaces
- Creation of office and industrial parks, including preparation of association documents, easement agreements and restrictive covenants
- Ground leasing
- Issuance of title insurance and title claims representation
She is an authorized title insurance agent for Old Republic National Title Insurance Company, Chicago Title Insurance Company and First American Title Insurance Company. Adele's business law practice includes the purchase and sale of corporate stock and purchase and sale of assets, preparation of partnership, joint venture, and buy-sell agreements, limited liability company operating agreements and the formation of new entities.
Some of Adele's most recent experience includes:
- Represented a land owner in connection with the sale of several parcels of property, including a lake parcel, for the development of an industrial park in South Florida. This complex transaction involved the consolidation of a number of prior right of way easements, an option to purchase with a right of first refusal for the Buyer and amending an existing Declaration of Covenants governing the surface water management system.
- Represented the property owner in connection with the development of a multi-use condominium project on a parcel of land in Miami-Dade County, Fla. The complexity of the negotiations and transaction was highlighted by a unique purchase price calculation, the delay in the closing as a result of development approvals and the presence of purchase money financing which necessitated a subordination to the construction loan.
- Represented an affiliate of a real estate investment trust in connection with the acquisition of a medical office building housing and emergency center. The transaction was marked by a plethora of complex title issues which had to be cured prior to the closing, including a number of easement related issues and necessary amendments to an existing declaration of covenants, conditions and restrictions.
- Represented a regional hospital in negotiating and closing on the acquisition of an 18 acre parcel of land for an addition to its facility. A close reading of the plat revealed that while dedicated to the public, the contiguous public roadway was not yet accepted for maintenance by the municipality, and as a result, extensive negotiations with the Seller, the municipality and the state department of transportation became a part of the due diligence process in order to achieve a clear agreement of the party responsible for the roadway improvements.
In addition to being an AV® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, Adele has also been recognized as:
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 2008-2018
- Leader in Law for Real Estate Law, Lifestyle Media Group, 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006-2018
- "Top Lawyers" South Florida Legal Guide, 2007-2016
- "Heavy Hitter in Real Estate" South Florida Business Journal, 2011
- South Florida Women Extraordinaire, South Florida Business Leader, 2010
- Influential Business Women Honoree, South Florida Business Journal, 2009
- Annual Service Award, Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar, 2009
- G. Kirk Haas Humanitarian Award, Presented by Florida Bar President John G. White, III, 2009
- Justice Harry Lee Anstead Award, Board Certified Lawyer of the Year, 2009
- Russell E. Carlisle Advocacy Award, 2009; given annually by Legal Aid Services of Broward County, Inc. to an attorney whose career has exemplified a commitment to the poor and to public interest work
University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1978
University of Florida, B.A., 1975, with High Honors
The American College of Real Estate Lawyers: Fellow
Attorneys’ Real Estate Council of Broward County, Inc.: Past President, Member
Broward County Bar Association: Member
The Florida Bar: Governor, Board of Governors - 17th Judicial Circuit, 2011- 2013
Chairperson, Commercial Real Estate Committee of the Florida Bar Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section and Member of the Section’s Executive Council
Chairperson of the Access to Legal Services Committee of the Florida Bar Vision 2016 Commission
Florida Bar Past Leadership Positions: Vice Chairperson (Appointed by The Florida Bar President), Attorney-Client Privilege Task Force Committee; Chairperson, Annual Convention Committee; Chairperson, Professional Ethics Committee Member, 1989-2006; Chairperson, Grievance Committee 17D; Chairperson (Appointed by The Florida Bar President), Unbundled Legal Services Special Committee II; Chairperson (Appointed by The Florida Bar President), “Ethics 2000” Review Committee
The Florida Bar Foundation: President, 2009-2010; Board of Directors, 2001-2011
Leadership Hollywood: Class of 1987
NAIOP: Florida Chapter Board of Directors, President, 2011; Member, 2004-present; South Florida Chapter, Board of Directors, 2004-2011; Member, 1997-present; Director Emeritus 2011-present
Board Member of Florida's Innocence Project
Director of the Broward Workshop
The Florida Bar/Florida Bar Foundation: Chairperson, “FASH” Steering Committee (statewide pro bono program developed to represent homeowners under threat of foreclosure)
Innocence Project of Florida, Treasurer, Board of Directors
Former Hollywood Community Redevelopment Agency: Commissioner and Vice-Chairperson,
Former President of Legal Aid Services of Broward County Inc.
The Executive Council of Legal Aid Services of Broward County/Coast to Coast Legal Aid of South Florida: Founding Member, Past Chairperson
The Children’s Home Society: Former State Board of Directors and Chairperson of the Intercoastal Division