Pam concentrates her healthcare practice on issues affecting large healthcare institutions, including complex transactions, medical staff matters and regulatory issues including Medicare and Medicaid fraud, abuse and False Claims Act investigations and settlement negotiations, Stark and HIPAA confidentiality issues, EMTALA and patient care questions.
She represents a wide range of healthcare providers in mergers, acquisitions and other corporate restructurings, forming joint ventures, drafting employment and independent contractor agreements, and forming physician networks and healthcare entities. While at Buchanan, Pam has also served as part-time in-house counsel at a large health system and an international medical device company.
Pam is co-chair of firm’s Cybersecurity and Data Protection Group. She proactively advises clients in developing privacy and security policies and procedures, and conducting HIPAA and data security training. She also assists clients in connection with data security incident response, including conducting breach risk assessments, advising clients on HIPAA and state law data security breach notification law, and Office for Civil Rights investigations.
Pam was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 list in Healthcare Law.
Some of Pam's recent representations include:
- Representing Catholic Health East and/or its affiliates in various acquisitions which have included health systems, hospitals and nursing homes.
- Representing a Western Pennsylvania health system client in the acquisition of numerous physician practices.
- Representing various clients in the structuring and negotiation of cancer center joint ventures.
- Representing a client in the negotiation, structuring, formation and expansion of a durable medical equipment limited liability company involving several Western Pennsylvania healthcare systems.
- Representing Montgomery Hospital in its affiliation with Albert Einstein Healthcare Network.
- Representing a health system client in the acquisition of a critical access hospital.
- Representing several clients in medical staff hearings and appeals.
- Representing Catholic Health East in connection with various tax-exempt financing transactions.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1991
University of Pittsburgh, M.P.H., 1991
West Virginia University, B.S., 1988, cum laude, Business Administration with an Emphasis on Chemistry and Biology
- West Virginia
Co-Chair, IAPP, Pittsburgh chapter