Daniel C. Garfinkel’s practice encompasses a variety of commercial litigation matters. Handling litigation matters in both state and federal court, he has represented commercial clients through all stages of the litigation process. Daniel focuses much of his practice on matters relating to energy and natural resources, representing coal companies and oil and gas exploration and production companies in litigation matters throughout the United States. He also has experience representing municipalities in a variety of matters ranging from contract negotiation to litigation.
Daniel has been selected for inclusion in the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® Rising Stars list consecutively since 2011 to present.
Some of Daniel's representative experience includes:
- Obtained five emergency injunctions for a Fortune 200 oil and gas company by successfully arguing that the client’s right to operate upon the properties for oil and gas necessarily includes the right to explore for that same oil and gas via seismic testing.
- Represented national coal mining companies in several injunction actions to enforce mining rights.
- Defended oil and gas exploration and development rights in courts throughout Western Pennsylvania.
- Successfully defended coal sales company in contract litigation in which alleged damages exceeded $500 million.
- Defended national coal mining company in action regarding alleged mine subsidence damage.
- Served as lead trial counsel in property dispute litigation.
- Advised energy clients concerning the interpretation and application of Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code governing the sale of goods.
- Represented oil and gas clients in numerous title dispute matters.
- Supervised several large-scale and complex electronic discovery projects.
- Advised municipalities on contract dispute matters, potential tort liability, and contract drafting and review.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Daniel was an associate in the Pittsburgh office of an international law firm, where he worked on a variety of complex litigation matters in both state and federal court.
While attending law school, he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Case Western Reserve University Law Review. He also worked as an extern to the Honorable Ann Aldrich of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.
Case Western Reserve University, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude, Law Review Editor-in-Chief, Order of the Coif
Allegheny College, B.A., 2000, cum laude, Political Science
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania Bar Association