How Tom Helps Clients
Tom is well known for his legal work and professional contributions in the area of healthcare law.
In his healthcare practice, Tom has represented hospitals, health systems, home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities and intermediate care facilities for developmentally disabled people in administrative and corporate law issues. He has represented many clients in merger or affiliation matters, including Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, the University of Pennsylvania Health System, Conemaugh Health System, Montgomery Hospital Medical Center, Kadlec Health System and Aria Health.
Tom is the past chair of the firm's Healthcare Section, which he led for 15 years. He also served on the firm's Board of Directors for many years and chaired the firm's compensation committee.
Tom has lectured and written extensively on a variety of legal issues in the healthcare field. For more than 20 years, he served as an adjunct faculty member at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, where he taught healthcare law and advanced fraud and abuse law.
Tom has been quoted in the media on healthcare-related legal matters, and his work has garnered recognition from peers, clients, and legal and healthcare entities.
- Recipient, Lifetime Achievement Award, The Legal Intelligencer (2021).
- Selected by clients for the 2009 Client Service All-Star Team list, a list of only 176 attorneys in the United States, Canada, South America and Europe compiled by BTI Consulting Group, the leading provider of strategic market research to law firms and professional services firms.
- Has spoken at meetings of the American Health Lawyers Association, National Association of Home Care, the Hospital Association of Pennsylvania Society of Healthcare Attorneys, the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Healthcare Financial Management Association, the Pennsylvania Homecare Association, the Health Policy Institute of the University of Pittsburgh and the Dickinson Law School Forum.
- Co-wrote a chapter, "Retroactive Versus Contemporaneous Reviews," for the book Monitoring & Auditing Practices for Effective Compliance, published by the Health Care Compliance Association.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America®, healthcare law category, every year since the category was established in 1991. Additionally, was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 addition in the Mergers and Acquisitions Law category.
- Achieved Band 1 ranking in Healthcare in Chambers USA consecutively since 2015
- Recipient, Presidents Award, Pennsylvania Association of Home Health Agencies for outstanding contributions to the home health field (1994).
- Recipient, Excellence in Healthcare Law Award, Pennsylvania Bar Association (2001).
- Recognized by the Pittsburgh Regional Healthcare Initiative for his service as volunteer legal counsel (2002).
- Selected consecutively for nine years to the Pennsylvania Super Lawyers list.
- Has received a top-tier ranking in Chambers USA in the healthcare field, where he was noted for being “highly respected” in his practice.
- Recipient, 2014 Allied Professional of the Year from the Pittsburgh Planned Giving Counsel
- Listed in Legal Media Group's Guide to the Leading U.S. Healthcare Lawyers (2005).
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 1977, magna cum laude
University of Pittsburgh, B.S., 1974, summa cum laude, Chemical Engineering
American Health Lawyers Association
The Hospital & Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania
Hospital Association of Pennsylvania Society of Healthcare Attorneys
University of Pittsburgh School of Law – Adjunct Professor (retired)
Allegheny County Bar Association
Health Care Compliance Association
Dialysis Clinic, Inc. Donor Services - 2012 to present, Secretary
Rx Council – 2008 – 2010, Board Member/Treasurer
Hatteras-By-the-Sea Civic Association – 2003 – 2007, Secretary
Institutional Review Board of the University of Pittsburgh/Biomedical Research on Human Subjects, Board Member
Society of Healthcare Attorneys of Western Pennsylvania, Board President and Board Member
Hospital Association of Pennsylvania – Society of Healthcare Attorneys, Board President and Board Member
Eye Bank of Western Pennsylvania, Board Member
Northmont Farms Civic Association, Board Member
United Way – Tocqueville - 2007 to present
The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh - 2012 to present
University of Pittsburgh - 2014 to present, Member of Conflict of Interest Committee
Pittsburgh Business Times – 2013 to present, Judge in Health Care Heroes Competition
Roddey Transition Team for Kane Hospital
Pittsburgh Regional Health Initiative
Northwood Health System
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh Board Challenge