Carey Villeneuve concentrates his practice on business litigation and appeals, including disputes involving contracts, business torts and trademarks. He also focuses on cases involving jurisdictional challenges.
Though his litigation practice is primarily in federal court, Carey has handled trial and appellate cases throughout the state courts of Florida.
His federal court experience began in law school when he served as an intern for U.S. District Court Judge Maurice Paul in the Northern District of Florida; and then served as an intern for U.S. Magistrate Judge Monte Richardson in the Middle District of Florida.
After law school, Carey served for two years as a judicial law clerk for U.S. District Court Judge J.P. Stadtmueller in the Eastern District of Wisconsin. As a federal judicial law clerk, Carey was responsible for a third of the cases on his Judge’s docket, and he researched and drafted judicial opinions for all motions filed in those cases.
Since entering private practice, Carey has represented clients in all phases of litigation, from the inception of cases through discovery and trial, as well as representing clients on appeal.
Working closely with the members of the firm’s Litigation Section and Appellate Practice Group, Carey’s representative experience includes:
- Obtaining dismissal of client, for lack of personal jurisdiction, from federal court trademark litigation.
- Obtaining a defense verdict for a large multinational client in federal court jury trial.
- Representing celebrity defendant in federal court trademark litigation and obtaining mediated settlement.
- Obtaining appellate court reversal, for firm client, of denial of a motion to enforce arbitration and forum selection clauses.
- Serving on appellate team that obtained reversal of $900,000,000 personal injury verdict against a consolidator of skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities and long-term acute care hospitals.
Carey has been selected for inclusion in the Florida Rising Stars® list each year since 2012. He was also noted as a Florida Legal Elite “Up & Comer” by Florida Trend Magazine in 2013 and 2014.
University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif; Managing Editor of the Florida Journal of International Law
University of Florida, B.A., 2004, cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale, Inc., Board of Directors
Member of City of Fort Lauderdale Board of Adjustment
Member of City of Fort Lauderdale Education Advisory Board 2014 - 2015
Pro Bono Attorney for Bet Tzedek (non-profit organization that assists Holocaust survivors in seeking reparations from Germany)