Paul S. Mazeski is a member of the Labor and Employment group focused on representing companies in employment and workers' compensation matters as well as personal injury and general business disputes. He also provides regular guidance to employers on personnel matters.
How Paul Helps Clients
Paul defends clients in employment discrimination, retaliation, personal injury and work-related injury claims. Paul also protects clients’ interests by prosecuting trade secret and restrictive covenant cases. Because helping clients avoid problems is as important as solving them, Paul not only drafts critical employment agreements and restrictive covenant agreements, he also provides counseling on employee discipline and separation and provides employee training on sexual and other forms of harassment. On the transactional side, Paul advises businesses on the benefits and risks of buying and selling assets and negotiates legal transactions. He also advises companies concerning liability exposures involving insurance coverage disputes, including participating in investigations and negotiations with insurance carriers to attempt to resolve coverage disputes.
Paul also has experience representing higher education institutions in lawsuits filed by students and employees alleging wrongful termination and discriminatory conduct. Additionally, Paul has experience working in conjunction with Buchanan’s Real Estate team, helping to advise universities on real estate matters.
- Representation of employers related to liability in COVID-19 exposure cases.
- Successfully defended a long-term care facility in a COVID-19 resident visitation dispute concerning the interpretation of rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH ) and the Federal Government through Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
- Represented employers in multiple workers compensation claims involving significant injuries including traumatic brain injury cases with allegations of Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE).
- Represented multiple employers and insurance carriers in personal injury claims with serious and permanent injury allegations.
- Represented multiple companies in trade secret and non-compete litigation.
- Represented employers in labor arbitration disputes involving the interpretation of labor agreements and whether the employer had the right to modify work rules during the course of a contract.
- Represented employers in alleged discrimination actions and secured summary judgments in favor of the employer.
- Won an appeal in front of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court on a dispute whether an injured worker was an employee or an independent contractor.
- Represented a restaurant in a real estate dispute arising out of a lease agreement. The landlord was attempting to evict the client as a result of a dispute surrounding lease payments.
- Successfully defended one of the nation’s leading multi-line providers of independent medical review and related services in anti-trust case in which the Plaintiff alleged a violation of the federal Sherman Act and Pennsylvania's unfair competition laws. After nearly four years of discovery and several amended complaints later, the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania granted the defendants' motions for summary judgment and dismissed the case, with prejudice.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® consistently since 2011 under the Workers' Compensation Law - Employers category
- Listed in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for multiple years
- Recognized by Martindale-Hubbell as an AV-rated attorney since 2004
University of Akron, J.D., 1989
University of Richmond, B.A., 1985, Economics
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Allegheny County Bar Association
Pennsylvania Bar Association