How Patrick Helps Clients
Patrick Doran handles a variety of consumer defense, contract and intellectual property litigation. Patrick primarily practices in the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania and New Jersey but has experience in federal courts across the nation. He has experience defending lawsuits against banks, mortgage lenders and servicers and auto finance companies. These include claims under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), as well as state unfair trade practices laws and lender liability claims.
Patrick also handles various intellectual property matters involving patent and trademark infringement, as well as commercial contract and lease disputes.
In addition, Patrick has prepared firm opinions on various issues, obtained positive results for prisoners in Section 1983 actions and has argued matters in multiple orphans courts of the Commonwealth on behalf of clients seeking legal guardianships.
Prior to joining Buchanan, Patrick completed a number of legal internships and assistantships while in law school, including an internship with the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office where he prosecuted cases in the Municipal Court. He was also a legal intern in the compliance division of the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations.
What Clients Can Expect
Patrick conducts a careful examination of his clients’ legal needs and desires, provides a thoughtful, thorough and honest assessment of the issues, and works closely with them on implementing an effective strategy to achieve their objectives. Patrick adheres to the principle of respectful discourse with his adversaries even to the most contentious negotiations but advocates in the courtroom with the steadiness, courage and zeal that his clients expect and deserve.
Outside the Office
Born and raised by two passionate educators in the working-class community of Conshohocken, Pa., Patrick is married with two bright and rambunctious boys that keep him on his toes. Before coming to the law, Patrick received an undergraduate degree in Biology and spent nearly a decade as a stage actor. Patrick is passionate about theatre and the artists who sacrifice so much to create the stories that feed the soul and challenge our perspective on the world.
As a former stage actor, I understand the essential tasks at the heart of preparing for the various roles we play: zealous advocate, shrewd negotiator and embodiment of our client in the eyes of the Court.
- Defeated a request for an injunction in New Hampshire federal court on plaintiff’s patent infringement claim against client in the sporting goods industry, and assisted in negotiating positive resolution of the matter.
- Obtained summary judgment for bank client in New Jersey state court, defeating Plaintiff’s consumer fraud act claims, and obtaining a victory on client’s counterclaim.
- Obtained dismissal of various securities and RICO claims against developer client in New Jersey federal court.
- Managed and resolving more than 20 lender liability and FCRA matters on behalf of bank client.
- Managed a nationwide campaign to enforce a newly-issued patent relating to sporting goods through demand letters and patent infringement actions that to date has caused more than 120 competitors to cease all sales of infringing products, while recovering significant royalties for our client.
Drexel University Thomas R. Kline School of Law, J.D., 2010, magna cum laude; Senior Articles Editor, Drexel Law Review; Member of the Drexel Environmental Law Society; Member of the Drexel International Law Society
LaSalle University, B.A., 2000, summa cum laude, Biology
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Executive Committee Member of Board of Directors at InterAct Theatre Company
EDPA Prisoner Civil Rights Pro Bono Panel