How Michelle Helps Clients
Michelle is an experienced healthcare attorney who helps healthcare providers, suppliers and innovators achieve their operational and business goals in a challenging regulatory environment. Michelle frequently advises clients regarding major strategic transactions and, with recent developments in virtual healthcare, counsels clients in implementation of telehealth and other digital health initiatives. Michelle’s clients include health systems, academic medical centers, community hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis centers, physician groups, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs) and post-acute providers.
Michelle enjoys helping clients add value to their organizations through integration and alignment strategies, including the formation of clinically integrated networks (CINs) and accountable care organizations (ACOs), and a proactive approach toward regulatory compliance. When compliance efforts fall short, Michelle works with clients to navigate the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, False Claims Act, HIPAA and state privacy laws to mitigate associated risk.
What Clients Can Expect
Michelle’s clients appreciate her tireless advocacy to achieve their operational and business goals. Michelle is a strong communicator and has been described as “unflappable” during complex negotiations.
The best lawyers are diligent - careful and persistent in their work - and efficient with clients' time and resources.
Outside the Office
As a Midwestern transplant to Pittsburgh, Michelle enjoys learning about Pittsburgh’s history and exploring its emerging cultural scene. In her free time, she loves to travel, read (primarily fiction), and stay active through running and indoor cycling. Michelle resides in the South Hills of Pittsburgh with her husband and young daughters.
- Led a multi-disciplinary legal team to facilitate a health system merger resulting in a fifteen-hospital system with over $5 billion in combined revenue.
- Assisted a $480 million integrated delivery system in obtaining a standalone not-for-profit hospital to secure essential healthcare offerings in the hospital’s service area.
- Represented an integrated health care, education, and social services organization for children with special needs in the expansion of outpatient health care and educational services.
- Managed HIPAA privacy and security matters for various health system and hospital entities, including several children’s hospitals.
- Represented a children’s health system in expanding highly specialized telehealth offerings domestically and internationally.
- Counseled various private equity-supported portfolio companies in developing data-driven healthcare solutions.
- Represented a health system in a whistleblower-prompted investigation of hospital-physician arrangements.
- Assisted a Critical Access Hospital with implementing and documenting its participation in a state-wide Clinically Integrated Network (CIN).
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2011, Health Law Certificate
University of Notre Dame, M.Ed., 2008
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2006, magna cum laude, History, Italian
Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
American Health Lawyers Association, Member
American Health Law Association, Member; Academic Medical Centers and Teaching Hospitals Practice Group, Vice Chair of Member Engagement
Baptist Homes Society, Board of Directors
Notre Dame Club of Pittsburgh, Member