How Michelle Helps Clients
Michelle helps healthcare providers, suppliers, and innovators achieve their operational and business goals in a challenging regulatory environment. She frequently advises clients regarding major strategic transactions and, with recent developments in virtual healthcare, counsels clients in implementation of telehealth and other digital health initiatives.
Michelle enjoys helping clients add value to their organizations through proactive regulatory compliance efforts and integration strategies, including the formation of clinically integrated networks (CINs) and accountable care organizations (ACOs). When compliance efforts fall short, Michelle works with clients to navigate the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, False Claims Act, HIPAA and state privacy laws to mitigate associated risk.
Michelle prides herself on understanding the unique needs and considerations of in-house counsel, having been engaged for two significant in-house secondments in recent years. Her clients include health systems, integrated delivery and finance systems, academic medical centers, community hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis centers, physician groups, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), and post-acute providers.
In addition to her work with clients, Michelle is co-leader of the firm’s Healthcare Industry Group and N.O.W. (Network of Women) affinity group.
Michelle was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® in 2024 in the Healthcare Law category.
What Clients Can Expect
Michelle’s clients appreciate her tireless advocacy to achieve their operational and business goals. Michelle is a strong communicator and has been described as “unflappable” during complex negotiations.
The best lawyers are diligent - careful and persistent in their work - and efficient with clients' time and resources.
Outside the Office
As a Midwestern transplant to Pittsburgh, Michelle enjoys learning about Pittsburgh’s history and exploring its emerging cultural scene. In her free time, she loves to travel, read (primarily fiction), and stay active through running and indoor cycling. Michelle resides in the South Hills of Pittsburgh with her husband and young daughters.
- Led a multi-disciplinary legal team to facilitate a health system merger resulting in a fifteen-hospital system with over $5 billion in combined revenue.
- Represented health system in the formation of a nine-hospital joint operating company with over $1.5 billion in combined revenue.
- Assisted a $480 million integrated delivery system in obtaining a standalone not-for-profit hospital to secure essential healthcare offerings in the hospital’s service area.
- Managed multiple national health systems and several behavioral health care providers in the development of CINs and related physician alignment initiatives.
- Represented various for-profit and non-profit organizations in the acquisition of physician practices.
- Represented a senior services organization in connection with a corporate reorganization involving more than 30 facilities in 11 states and the District of Columbia.
- Represented an integrated health care, education, and social services organization for children with special needs in the expansion of outpatient health care and educational services.
- Assisted a Critical Access Hospital with implementing and documenting its participation in a state-wide CIN.
- On behalf of a health system client, prepared, submitted, and resolved a five-part self-disclosure for the Department of Justice to address $35 million in potential Medicare and Medicaid overpayments
- Represented a health system in a whistleblower-prompted investigation of hospital-physician arrangements.
- Negotiated various self-disclosures with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Inspector General, including matters related to employment of excluded parties.
- Managed an operational and compliance investigation for a Fortune 500 company.
- Prepared comprehensive compliance policies for various clients, including behavioral health care providers.
- Managed HIPAA privacy and security matters for various health system and hospital entities, including several children’s hospitals.
- Coordinated HIPAA incident response efforts for numerous clients in the event of potential and actual HIPAA breaches, some involving notification to affected individuals and to HHS.
- Represented a children’s health system in expanding highly specialized telehealth offerings domestically and internationally.
- Represented a privately held company in developing online retail pharmacy offerings and negotiating related agreements with information technology platforms, provider platforms, and pharmacy providers.
- Counseled various private equity-supported portfolio companies in developing data-driven healthcare solutions, with a significant need for data privacy protections.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 2011, Health Law Certificate
University of Notre Dame, M.Ed., 2008
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 2006, magna cum laude, History, Italian
Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
American Health Law Association, Member; Academic Medical Centers and Teaching Hospitals Practice Group, Vice Chair of Member Engagement
Baptist Homes Society, Board of Directors
Notre Dame Club of Pittsburgh, Member