How Kyle Helps Clients
Kyle D. Black focuses his practice on business and commercial litigation. Kyle represents clients in a variety of complex commercial litigation disputes in federal and state court, including insurance coverage disputes, construction-related litigation, and securities class-action litigation. Kyle also has experience litigating cases before Administrative Law Judges and preparing appellate briefs before administrative appeal boards and the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
Kyle also counsels clients on best practices in data privacy and cybersecurity. He is a Certified Information Privacy Professional in U.S. privacy laws (CIPP/US) and European privacy laws (CIPP/E) and is also a Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM) recognized by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. Kyle helps clients maintain compliance with various state, federal, and international security standards, including the General Data Protection Regulation. Kyle helps clients plan ahead for data security incidents by preparing written information security programs and incident response plans. He also assists clients in responding to data security incidents by deploying forensics and consumer remediation services, and also by advising clients on state law regarding security breach notification requirements.
Kyle has been named to the Publications Advisory Board for the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), the world's largest and most comprehensive global information privacy community. Board members include some of the top data privacy attorneys and compliance officers across the globe. In this role, he advises on data privacy-related content for IAPP publications and resources, including web conferences, member newsletter, the IAPP blog, books and resource center.
Recent commercial litigation projects and recognition include:
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America® list in commercial litigation since 2021.
- Successfully recovered property-owner’s property sold at an upset tax sale.
- Represented mineral production company in securities class action in federal court.
- Successfully assisted corporate client obtain favorable settlement in insurance coverage dispute.
- Defeated motion to dismiss to complaint, wherein defendants unsuccessfully argued gas company could not assert breach of implied and express warranty against the defendant-manufacturer.
Recent cybersecurity & data privacy projects include:
- Represented state university foundations and charitable institutions potentially affected by the 2020 Blackbaud ransomware attack.
- Represented a major residential mortgage lender in a suspected data breach requiring extensive forensic investigation, notification in over 40 states and to 20 states’ attorneys general and complicated by extensive interconnections to multiple sources of personal information and online consumer access.
- Represented European start-up looking to expand into the United States by drafting privacy policies and terms & conditions in conformity with U.S. law and practice.
- Counseled clients about meeting their consumer privacy obligations under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA).
- Updated client’s online privacy policies and terms & conditions.
- Drafted data security addendums to existing contracts, policies, and procedures.
In addition to his work with the firm, Kyle also participates in pro bono work representing victims in protection of abuse cases and also assisting individuals with their application for clemency before the Pennsylvania Board of Pardons. Before joining Buchanan, Kyle practiced with a large national defense firm.
During law school, he interned with the Honorable Mary Jane Bowes in the Superior Court of Pennsylvania, as well as with the Honorable Arnold Klein in the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 2015, Certificate in International and Comparative Law; CALI Award for Private International Law
Emory University, B.A., 2011, Economics and African American studies
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
IAPP, Publications Advisory Board Member, 2023 - present
American Bar Association, Cybersecurity and Data Privacy General Committee, vice chair, 2018 - present
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Allegheny County Bar Association
The International Association of Privacy Professionals
Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, Pathfinder (2021); Midwest Sustainable Partnership Program Cohort (2023)
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.