How Kelly Helps Clients
Kelly has defended employers against employment claims for more than 25 years. His experience includes cases in state and federal courts and before administrative bodies and arbitration panels in Texas and Florida. He has successfully defended discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, ADA access and FMLA cases as well as individual and nationwide collective FLSA overtime lawsuits.
Kelly draws on his litigation experience to advise management on best practices and claims avoidance and to oversee internal investigations. He serves public sector clients and clients in a range of industries, including construction, education, marine, health care, transportation, aerospace and electronics.
I enjoy the challenges of problem cases, and the rewards of putting them back on the tracks to facilitate a quick resolution.
He has represented insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation, and has significant experience issuing coverage opinions and reservation of rights letters in the context of E&O, D&O, CGL, Maritime, Commercial Vehicle and Excess/Umbrella policies. Kelly is a frequent author, contributor and lecturer on employment issues for publications and audiences across the country.
What Clients Can Expect
Kelly is an attentive and responsive advocate who learns his client's business and what matters most. Within that context, he applies experience and insight to present all available options for resolution. Then, he works toward achieving the desired result.
Outside the Office
When he's not in the office, Kelly enjoys time with his wife and their three daughters. He also likes time on the water, for some quiet kayaking, fishing or an exhilarating sailboat race.
- AV® Preeminent distinction, Martindale-Hubbell.
- Florida Super Lawyers list (2014-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2017 - 2021) editions, Employment Law – Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment categories; Best Lawyers® 2020 Litigation - Labor & Employment "Lawyer of the Year" in Fort Lauderdale.
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1986
Vanderbilt University, B.A., 1983
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
The Florida Bar: Labor & Employment and Trial Lawyer Sections
Broward County Bar Association
Human Resources Association of Broward County
State Bar of Texas: Employment and Litigation Section
College of the State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Foundation: Fellow
Dallas Bar Association: Employment Section
Federal Bar Association
Society for Human Resource Management
Vanderbilt University Admissions Interviewer
Broward Habitat for Humanity, Board Chair (2020-present); Vice Chairman of the Board (2017-2020); Governance Committee Chair (2018-2020); Executive Committee Member (2015-present); regular volunteer (2012-present)
Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, General Counsel (2018-present); Executive Committee, Nominating Committee and Leadership Council Member (2018-present), Business First Subcommittee Chair (2016-2018); Board of Directors, Business First Committee (2013-present)
Dallas Habitat For Humanity, Dallas Bar Association Habitat Home Project Co-Chair (2000-2001); regular volunteer (1992-2009)