Eric D. Heicklen focuses his practice on a wide range of services including commercial litigation, health care law, medical malpractice, long term care litigation, catastrophic loss and professional liability.
As lead counsel in State and Federal Courts throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey and other eastern states, Eric has handled a wide variety of lawsuits and investigations from claim inception through discovery, mediation and trial. Eric has represented physicians, hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, nurses, therapists, corporations and nursing home administrators in various types of litigation.
Eric's practice has included criminal investigations, complex mass-tort proceedings, general liability and casualty litigation, medical malpractice litigation, and nursing home negligence litigation. In addition, he has represented clients in various alternative dispute formats including arbitration and mediation and has litigated complex commercial litigation cases. Eric also counsels clients on various legal matters, such as regulatory compliance, risk management, pre-suit investigation and risk analysis with the goal of minimizing legal exposure and litigation.
Eric's recent experience and results include:
- Represented a nursing home facility in a premises liability case brought by a home care agency careworker arguing under the New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Act that the injured careworker’s exclusive remedy was worker’s compensation coverage for medical treatment. The Court awarded Summary Judgment Dismissal.
- Upheld judgment in the Superior Court of Pennsylvania in favor of client, a nursing and rehabilitation center, in a civil action claiming negligence and corporate negligence.
- Represented a regional nursing home in litigation and trial, which resulted in a positive result for the client.
- Obtained a favorable court ruling which dismissed a matter for plaintiff's failure to comply with New Jersey's Affidavit of Merit Statute.
- Mediated numerous matters involving allegations of breach of contract, consumer fraud, violation of Federal and State regulations/statutes and negligence.
- Member of a litigation team which obtained enforcement of the first Arbitration Agreement in a Nursing Home Negligence matter in the State of New Jersey.
- Obtained Summary Judgment in a premises liability wherein the alleged dangerous condition was open and obvious.
Eric has spoken to local and national audiences on long term care litigation, nursing home regulations, malpractice prevention and risk management.
Eric has previously been honored by his peers in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Widener University School of Law, J.D., 2003, cum laude
The Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 2000, Administration of Justice
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
American Bar Association Section of International Law
Pennsylvania Bar Association
New Jersey State Bar Association
Montgomery County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute