How Dan Helps Clients
Dan has more than 20 years of experience representing clients in international trade and national security related matters. He represents clients in all aspects of international trade law, including trade remedy matters such as antidumping (AD), countervailing duty (CVD), and safeguard investigations. Specifically, Dan helps U.S. manufacturing companies who are losing market share or suffering from decreased profits to obtain relief against unfairly priced imports. He is rated among the nations’ leading international trade lawyers and is a frequent presenter and commentator on U.S. trade policy.
Dan also has extensive experience in regard to the intersection of international business and national security matters such as U.S. economic sanctions, export controls (including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)), antiboycott measures, and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Dan provides comprehensive international trade law compliance guidance, including to U.S. and international clients that provide goods and services that may be regulated due to national security reasons. He develops customized and specialized corporate compliance programs related to the FCPA, ITAR, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the National Industrial Security Program (NISP) and mitigating Foreign Ownership, Control, or Influence (FOCI) issues. In cases of non-compliance and potential violations, Dan conducts internal investigations and represents clients before the relevant agencies in connection with investigations, voluntary self-disclosures, licensing, and enforcement actions. In addition, clients also often look to Dan for guidance pertaining to the Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA).
Dan routinely appears before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), OFAC, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the U.S. Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and International Trade Administration (ITA), the U.S. Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA, formerly the DSS), the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), the U.S. Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients praise Dan for his innovative, novel and creative theories and handling of their trade remedy matters that directly improve U.S. companies' bottom line. Given the complexity and high-stakes situations in both the trade remedy and national security spheres, Dan’s clients appreciate his experienced, rational, measured and deliberate approach.
I help keep manufacturing and manufacturing jobs in the United States.
Outside the Office
Dan enjoys spending time with his family, including having one too many dogs. He also enjoys international travel, having visited more than two dozen countries in South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
Import Relief/Trade Remedies
- Lead counsel in successful antidumping case on agricultural product from Brazil and South Africa.
- Lead counsel in successful sunset review of suspension agreement on antidumping investigation of lemon juice from Argentina.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of engines from China.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of plastic ribbon from China.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping and countervailing duty investigations of stainless steel flanges from China and India.
- Lead counsel in the successful antidumping investigation of imports of Phosphor Copper from Korea.
National Security/Export Controls/Anti-Corruption
- Advises U.S. companies on their obligations under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Advises U.S. and foreign entities on economic sanctions regulations administered by OFAC that govern trade with Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and other countries, as well as transactions with “Specially Designated Nationals.”
- Provides guidance to clients in regard to the DCSA with respect to mitigation of FOCI under the applicable national industrial security regulations. Facilitates defense industry acquisitions and advises companies regarding a multitude of FOCI mitigation and DCSA compliance matters.
- Advises U.S. and foreign companies on the development and implementation of corporate compliance programs in the areas of ITAR, FCPA, economic sanctions, anti-boycott laws, and national security regulations.
- Counsels clients with regard to compliance with FARA.
Awards & Recognitions
- The Best Lawyers in America – International Trade and Finance Law (2023)
- Chambers Global "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2019-2022)
- The International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2019)
- Law360's International Trade Editorial Advisory Board (2018)
- Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2018-2022)
- The Legal 500 U.S. in International Trade (2017-2021)
- Washington D.C. Super Lawyers and International Super Lawyers (2013-2020)
- Law360, International Trade MVP (2016)
Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., with distinction
Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., with honors
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
United States-Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) Chapter 10 Roster, Panelist (2021-Present)
Defense Trade Advisory Group (2016-2018), Member
Industry Trade Advisory Committee (ITAC) (2014-Present), Member; ITAC 5: Critical Minerals and Nonferrous Metals, Chair, Committee Member (2022-Present)
George Mason University School of Law, International Trade Law and Regulation, Adjunct Professor (2008-Present)
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Chapter 19 Roster, Panelist (2019-2020)
International & National Security Law, Executive Committee, the Federalist Society
Customs and International Trade Bar Association (CITBA), Board of Directors (2013-Present); Co-Chair, International Trade Committee (2018-Present); Chair, Judicial Selection Committee (2016-2017); Co-Chair, Trial and Appellate Practice Committee (2013-2015)
American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law, Vice-Chair, National Security Committee (2019-Present)
International Bar Association (IBA)
International Trade and Customs Law Committee
Society for International Affairs (SIA)
The National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA)