How Christian Helps Clients
Christian is nationally sought after for his experience in defending multi-state class and collective actions. He is also a trusted advisor to successful general counsel and human resources professionals who seek his legal expertise and practical opinions.
Throughout the U.S. in trials, arbitrations and appellate matters, Christian defends employers from a variety of business sectors, most recently including energy, healthcare, manufacturing, transportation, direct broadcast satellite service, retail, and financial.
Christian understands that the best defense is a good offense. When he is not advocating vigorously for his clients in the courtroom, Christian spends his time positioning his clients for success, counseling them on best practices that mitigate business risk. His expertise includes but is not limited to Americans with Disabilities Act and Family Medical Leave Act compliance; anti-discrimination policies and procedures; wage and hour compliance; and reductions in force and related separation/termination issues. Christian conducts management training on topics such as professional conduct, anti-harassment and diversity and inclusion. His clients often call upon him to assist in drafting employment agreements for key executives, as well as non-compete, non-disclosure and non-solicitation agreements.
I want to offer more than ideas – I want to make ideas happen and always deliver more than expected.
Christian also assists companies who have unionized workforces by advising them of the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) processes which lead to unionization, negotiating labor agreements and litigating matters before the NLRB and in arbitration. Christian was recently involved in litigating the first representation case to be held in Region 16 following the Board’s changes to representation-case procedures known as the “quickie election” rules.
Finally, Christian is a frequent lecturer on various employment topics at conferences across the country, a contributing author to nationally renowned publications such as the American Bar Association Fair Labor Standards Act treatise and is regularly quoted in the popular press and business publications on trends in labor and employment law.
What Clients Can Expect
Clients see Christian as an essential business partner. He is committed to understanding his client’s business as an insider who can anticipate problems and provide value-added solutions. He is attentive to business needs, aspirations and the concerns that keep a business owner up at night. As a result, his representation is proactive not reactive, creating opportunities for clients to better grow their business.
Outside the Office
While attending Oxford University, Christian was an avid rower – something he continues today when he’s not otherwise chasing his four year-old twin girls. He considers the latter a staple of his triathlon training. A die-hard Steelers fan, Christian can be found at Heinz field most Sundays in the fall. In his free time, Christian enjoys travelling and the discovery of new places, people and things.
- Obtained partial summary judgment on behalf of major direct-broadcast satellite service provider in a wage and hour case involving the employer’s use of the fluctuating workweek method overtime payment.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of major U.S. airline in a case involving a passenger’s claim of racial profiling. View the full opinion.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of specialty hydrocarbon producer in a case involving a salesman claim for disability discrimination. View the full opinion.
- Won precedent-setting appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit in a case involving an employer's right to discriminate against potential employees on the basis of bankruptcy under Section 525 of the Bankruptcy Code. View the full opinion.
- Obtained dismissal of discrimination action on behalf of health care client involving employee’s claim of unlawful age discrimination.
- Obtained judgment notwithstanding the verdict following a state court trial against a government employer involving employee's claim for breach of alleged employment agreement.
- Obtained full Temporary Restraining Order on behalf of national sports and fitness specialty retailer enjoining its ex-senior buyer from going to work for a competitor pursuant to the terms of a non-compete agreement.
- Obtained dismissal of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) claim on behalf of industrial services company whose employee alleged interference with the exercise of his federally protected leave rights.
- Obtained dismissal of wage and hour action on behalf of energy client involving employee’s claim of unpaid overtime.
- Secured the dismissal of an FLSA case alleging that client improperly administered its auto-deduct meal-break policy, resulting in unpaid overtime wages.
- Blocked conditional certification in proposed nationwide collective action involving satellite television technicians alleging unpaid overtime in automatic meal-break deduction case.
- Blocked conditional certification in proposed nationwide collective action involving Medicare/Medicaid claims managers alleging FLSA misclassification.
- Obtained summary judgment victory as to application of travel time rules under the Portal-to-Portal Act, thereby substantially reducing scope of civil action.
Duquesne University School of Law, J.D., 2008, summa cum laude
University of Pittsburgh, M.A., 2004, Political Science
Oxford University, M.S., 2002, Politics
Allegheny College, B.S., 2001, magna cum laude, Political Science and Philosophy
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Oklahoma
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Human Resources Association
Federal Labor Standards Legislation Committee, American Bar Association
Labor Relations Policy Committee, Wage, Hour and Leave Subcommittee, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Sports Law Committee, Allegheny County Bar Association
2016 Felix Award, Volunteer of the Year Finalist
2014 Felix Award, Volunteer of the Year Finalist, Pittsburgh Human Resource Association
McKees Rocks Clinic
Make-a-Wish Foundation Volunteer