Bryce J. Maynard focuses his practice in the area of trademark law. Bryce has significant experience in trademark litigation, including litigation in the federal district courts, the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals and the International Trade Commission, as well as before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Bryce's recent litigation matters include the following:
- RevZilla Motorsports, LLC v. Powersports Plus, LLC, Opposition No. 91212858 (TTAB 2017): won decision from Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in favor of Applicant Powersports Plus, LLC, finding no likelihood of confusion between marks REVZILLA and PARTZILLA for retail services in the field of motorcycle parts and accessories
- JS IP LLC v. East Side Hotel Associates, L.P., Opp. No. 9122788 (TTAB 2016): successfully represented intellectual property holding company for Fontainebleau Miami Beach resort in matter enforcing resort’s rights in its “bowtie” logo
- BuzzBallz, LLC v. E. Remy Martin & Co., Civil Action No. 3:15-cv-04004-L (N.D. Tex. 2016): represented Remy Martin in case enforcing rights in famous LOUIS XIII mark for cognac
- Nationstar Mortgage v. Ahmad, 112 U.S.P.Q.2d 1361 (TTAB 2014): successfully represented opposer in first and only Trademark Trial and Appeal Board case finding fraud on the part of applicant since Federal Circuit’s decision in Bose
- Adams & Brooks, Inc. v. Morris National, Inc., Cancellation No. 92052158 (TTAB 2013): won favorable decision from Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and appeal to Federal Circuit holding that client’s mark P-NUTTLES was not confusingly similar to petitioner’s mark NUTFFLES for candy products
- Bourdeau Brothers v. United States International Trade Commission (Fed. Cir. 2012): won affirmance from Federal Circuit Court of Appeals of general exclusion order and cease and desist orders for Deere & Company in matter involving "gray market" and other imported goods infringing Deere's famous green and yellow trademarks.
- Waterford Wedgwood PLC v. Forma-Kutzscher Gmbh, Opp. No. 91123735 (TTAB 2007): epresented Waterford Wedgwood PLC against infringement of its industry leading LISMORE mark for crystal and prevented registration of LISA MORI to applicant.
- Michelin North America, Inc v. Pirelli, Opp. No. 91160239 (TTAB 2006); successfully enforced Michelin's trademark rights in its family of “X” trademarks and prevented Pirelli’s registration of X-PRESSURE.
- Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. J&P Lube, Inc., et al., Civil Action No. 1:05 CV 1414 (E.D. Va. 2006): secured a consent order requiring a former Chevron/Express Lube licensee to change its trademarks and the trade dress of its facility.
- Deere & Co. v. MTD Products, Inc., 2004 U.S. Dist. Lexis 15776 (S.D.N.Y. 2004): represented Deere & Co. in a matter enforcing Deere's trademark and trade dress rights in its green and yellow color combination.
His experience also includes counseling foreign and domestic clients in the selection, clearance, prosecution and monitoring of trademarks in the United States and abroad. He has helped many types of clients obtain trademark registrations and enforce their trademark rights, from individuals to multinational corporations. He also has significant experience in domain name matters and has helped several clients obtain the transfer of infringing domain names through UDRP proceedings. In addition, Bryce has experience in copyright law, including securing copyright registrations and advising clients in copyright enforcement and litigation.
Since 2018, Bryce has been named among the world's leading trademark professionals in the World Trademark Review 1000: "From initial searches to licensing matters and enforcement, he is immensely talented and extremely knowledgeable. He is also timely and easy to get a hold of even under tremendously tight deadlines."
Bryce was an associate with one of the oldest and largest law firms in the United States focusing exclusively on intellectual property, until its lawyers and other professionals joined Buchanan in 2005.
He is proficient in Italian.
Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2001, cum laude, Lead Articles Editor for the Washington and Lee Law Review
University of Wisconsin, B.A., 1997, Political Science
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Bar Association of DC, Treasurer of the Patent Trademark and Copyright Section, 2014 - 2015; Secretary of the Intellectual Property Section, 2015
Informational Resources Committee, speaker, International Trademark Association (INTA)
Washington Lawyers for the Arts
American Bar Association Section of International Law