How Andrew Helps Clients
Andrew’s intellectual property practice focuses on contentious matters with an emphasis on patent office litigation. He has extensive experience in inter partes review proceedings involving a wide variety of technologies, where his representations have been on behalf of both petitioners and patent owners. In addition to patent office litigation, Andrew has extensive experience in District Court litigation and investigations at the International Trade Commission (ITC), including hearing experience at the ITC. He also assists clients with patent counseling matters, including patent prosecution and due diligence in support of business deals.
Andrew is particularly skilled at quickly understanding a technology and translating that understanding into legal action. In this regard, his technical background includes familiarity and practical engineering experience with operating systems, compilers and programming languages, embedded systems, microprocessors, logic devices, database management systems and network security.
Beyond his electronics focused experience, Andrew also has Hatch-Waxman litigation experience as well as experience providing due diligence support in connection with pharmaceuticals and related drug delivery devices.
What Clients Can Expect
Andrew is a relentless and professional advocate for the firm’s clients. He is particularly skilled at familiarizing client engineers and business unit managers with legal processes and working collaboratively with them to achieve results, while taking into consideration budgets and other business requirements. Through his representations, he consistently develops excellent working relationships, which have been instrumental in resolving matters for clients.
Andrew also has extensive experience representing foreign clients in contentious U.S. patent matters, with a specific emphasis on clients headquartered in Japan. Through this experience, he has developed a unique insight into business cultures outside the U.S. and an ability to guide such clients through the unique processes of patent litigation in the U.S.
Andrew is a relentless advocate who cares deeply about client needs, and who provides effective business focused guidance and representation.
Outside the Office
As a rare Triple Gator, Andrew is a passionate Florida Gators fan. Andrew is also a “car guy.” He is a fan of all types of motorsport, having attended dozens of races and driven on many race tracks. His favorite race track is Sebring International in Florida, where he spent many weekends at track days during his university time.
When he is not on the track, he is biking the trails around the DC area. As an avid fitness enthusiast, Andrew is currently training for triathlons.
- Extensive experience in post-grant proceedings at the USPTO.
- Co-Author of one of the first treatises published on the new America Invents Act Proceedings.
- Experienced in contentious patent matters outside the U.S., including nullity and infringement proceedings in Germany.
- Practice has involved a variety of software, electrical, and mechanical technologies including database integration software, wireless network standards, encryption technology, microprocessors/system on chip components, semiconductor packaging, as well as medical devices and pharmaceuticals.
University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., First in Class
University of Florida, M.S., Computer Engineering
University of Florida, B.S., magna cum laude, Computer Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
ITC Trial Lawyers Association