How Bill Helps Clients
With more than 40 years' experience, his practice focuses on bankruptcy and corporate reorganization. He has represented debtors, indenture trustees, creditors' committees and secured and unsecured creditors in bankruptcy proceedings and restructurings outside bankruptcy. He has represented Fortune-500 companies, money center banks and financial institutions. He has represented lenders in negotiating secured loans, unsecured loans and securitized credit facilities and in working out troubled domestic and foreign loans. He has also represented agents in complex multilender and syndicated loans.
There is always something we can do to help the client overcome difficulties and achieve a positive result.
Starting with the 1994 Bankruptcy Amendments Act and most recently with the technical corrections bill passed in 2011, Bill is and has been actively involved in bankruptcy legislation. He has testified before the House Subcommittee with responsibility for bankruptcy legislation; served on the American Bar Association's Standing Committee on Federal Judicial Improvements; served as an expert on bankruptcy and the Uniform Commercial Code; and is a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association's Article 9 Task Force.
Bill is trained as a mediator.
He is also a writer and frequent lecturer on bankruptcy topics and taught bankruptcy law as an adjunct professor at the Temple University Beasley School of Law from 2000 until 2005.
What Clients Can Expect
There isn't much in the area of bankruptcy law that Bill doesn't know something about. He complements the depth and breadth of his experience with strong communication skills, insightful advice, unwavering commitment to his client's business goals and a proven ability to find a constructive solution for even the most complex challenges.
Outside the Office
Bill has three grown children who now live in Colorado and Wyoming. He misses having them nearby, but visiting them gives him the opportunity to enjoy his favorite hobby, snow skiing.
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- AV® Preeminent distinction, Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Ratings
- America's Leading Business Lawyers list, Chambers USA
- The Best Lawyers in America® list
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers® list
- Corporate Counsel Super Lawyers® list
- Bill has represented the agent bank in many large bankruptcies and loan restructurings in the coal, mining, oil and gas, manufacturing, healthcare and home building among others.
- Has represented the Debtor in a number of national Chapter 11 cases including Sharon Steel, Matlack Trucking, PHICO Group and Printing Arts.
- Represented the City of Pittsburgh in initiating its insolvency proceeding under Act 47.
- Involved in the activities of the Bankruptcy Review Commission as a member of the 12-person Alliance for Bankruptcy Legislation consisting of representatives of the American Bar Association, American Law Institute, National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges and the National Bankruptcy Conference.
- Involved in the legislative process leading up to the enactment of the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.
- Frequently lectures (on the topics of bankruptcy, the Uniform Commercial Code and lending law) to a number of organizations, including the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges, the Third Circuit Judicial Conference, the American Bar Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Commercial Law League and the Pennsylvania Bar Institute.
- He has also co-written several law review articles, one of which was quoted by the U.S. Supreme Court in Bank of America v. 203 N. LaSalle St.
To learn more about industry rankings, click here.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
University of Michigan, J.D., 1975, cum laude
Denison University, B.A., 1971, cum laude
- Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- New Jersey
Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
Fellow, The American Law Institute
Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Ad Hoc Committee on Bankruptcy Court Structure and the Insolvency Process, Chair, 2004–2011
Allegheny County Bar Association, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section Chair, 1990–1991
American Bar Association, Business Law Section Council Member, 2000–2004; Standing Committee on Federal Judicial Improvements 2007–2010; Business Bankruptcy Committee Chair, 1996–1999
American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow, chair Third Circuit Education Committee
Commercial Finance Association Education Foundation, Founders' Council
Commercial Law League of America, Bankruptcy Section, Member, Executive Council, 2005–present
Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art, Member Executive and Finance Committees, chair Exhibitions Committee
The Committee of Seventy, Past Chair