How Tyler Helps Clients
Tyler counsels institutional clients through the entire life-cycle of a distressed credit. Tyler’s practice is all encompassing, from early loan amendments intended to provide covenant relief, to workouts, forbearance agreements, collection litigation, foreclosures, receiverships and bankruptcy. Frequently representing large lending institutions, CMBS lenders, special servicers, as well as a litany of secured and unsecured creditors, Tyler assists his clients in pursuing their claims in bankruptcy cases and in defending against avoidance actions. Tyler also assists distressed debt investors, trade vendors, commercial landlords as well as clients who prepare loans for sale and those who purchase distressed debt.
As a lecturer and author of articles on a variety of subjects related to his areas of practice, Tyler routinely contributes to Pennsylvania practice resources such as Practical Law Company and The Secured Finance Network.
Prior to receiving his law degree, Tyler was a summer intern for the Honorable Judge Joy Flowers Conti, of the Federal District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. In this role, he undertook legal research on complex litigation matters and assisted in drafting memoranda.
Tyler was a 2011 summer associate in Buchanan's Pittsburgh office.
What Clients Can Expect
Tyler provides clients with the strategic perspective necessary to chart a path forward through challenging and complex circumstances.
Outside the Office
Tyler lives in the North Hills of Pittsburgh with his wife and their two children. When not in the office, Tyler enjoys outdoor activities with family and friends – from walks with the two family dogs to golf, hiking, mountain biking and fly-fishing.
- Represented secured and unsecured creditors, ranging from financial institutions, to trade vendors, a professional sports team, commercial landlords and equipment lessors in a variety of prominent chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, including: In re Southern Foods Group, LLC, et al., In re J.C. Penney Company, Inc., et al., In re 24 Hour Fitness Worldwide, Inc., et al., In re Tailored Brands, Inc., et al., In re BL Restaurants Holding, LLC, In re Alta Mesa Resources, Inc., In re Alpha Entertainment LLC, In re Sears Holdings, Inc., et al., In re IHeartMedia, Inc., et al., et al., In re Peabody Energy Corp., et al., In re Alpha Natural Resources, Inc., et al., In re Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC, et al.
- Represented secured lenders in state court collection matters involving commercial foreclosures, receiverships, and consensual private sales.
- Negotiated and drafted forbearance agreements, loan modifications and credit agreement amendments for lender clients.
- Represented clients in a variety of bankruptcy matters, including a stalking-horse bidder in a Section 363 bankruptcy auction sale, general preference defense actions, filing proofs of claim including those related to lease-rejection damages claims, representation of a publicly-traded company preparing to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, as well as the preparation and facilitation of a pre-packaged bankruptcy case.
University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude; Order of the Coif; lead articles editor, Journal of Law and Commerce; CALI Award for Excellence in Mergers & Aquisitions
The Pennsylvania State University, Schreyer Honors College, B.A., 2009, with honors, Political Science; B.A., Economics
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Turnaround Management Association
Associate Member of the Schreyer Honors College’s Scholar Alumni Society Board