Philip M. Hanaka focuses his practice in financial services, with experience in representing national and international financial institutions in all areas of lending, including, without limitation, commercial real estate transactions, construction lending, asset-based lending facilities, syndicated loans, aircraft and yacht financing and mezzanine loans. Philip is a member of Buchanan's Board of Directors and also serves on the firm's Promotions Committee.
With more than 19 years of legal experience, Philip also has significant experience overseeing workouts and foreclosures of commercial real estate loans and corporate loans.
Some of Philip's recent representations include:
Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Multiple construction loans for multi-family, office, retail and storage facilities for projects in Florida, Georgia, Texas, California, Oregon, Colorado, North Carolina, Illinois, Mississippi, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Virginia.
- Multiple syndicated construction loan facilities as counsel for agent lender for projects in various states.
- Several term loan refinancings, including large shopping mall project and multi-project collateral pool financings for standalone retail properties.
Commercial Lending Transactions
- Represented agent lender in a $300,000,000 syndicated credit facility.
- Represented a domestic financial institution in connection with acquisition of assets of target company, secured by, among other collateral, pledge of stock and aircraft engines.
- Multiple asset based credit facilities for operating companies throughout Florida.
- Represented national financial institution in connection with revolving standby letter of credit facility.
Philip has been honored by Best Lawyers in America© consecutively since 2019 in the area of Real Estate Law. In addition, he has been named to The South Florida Legal Guide’s Top Up and Comer list each year since 2015.
Before joining Buchanan, Philip worked as an associate for a firm in Massachusetts and volunteered for the 2002 campaign for Mitt Romney for Governor of Massachusetts. He also worked as a senior associate for a local firm in Fort Lauderdale.
Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 1999
Dartmouth College, B.A., 1996, History
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Former President, Dartmouth Club of Central Massachusetts