Lorin focuses on business, corporate, commercial and securities law, with an emphasis on healthcare joint venture formation, planning and development.
Lorin assists healthcare clients throughout the country in the formation and capitalization of physician- centric entities such as ambulatory surgical centers (“ASC(s)”), specialty hospitals and related joint ventures. He also regularly counsels providers on a wide variety of regulatory matters, including Stark Law and fraud and abuse compliance, as well as group practice formation and operations. He is a frequent speaker on the topic of physician-centric ancillary services.
Lorin has worked extensively with ASCs since 1995 and has counselled clients on the formation, capitalization, syndication, operation and sale or purchase of ASCs within most states across the country. He is very actively assisting clients during the present resurgence of ASCs nationwide, through the implementation of new, flexible business models, including the use of co-location, or “hybrid”, model between ASCs and Office Based Labs.
Representative transactions for Lorin include:
- Representing a national ASC management company in its sale of 100% of its operations, including its interests in 20 ASC’s, to a publicly traded corporation
- Representing a group of cancer centers in their sale to an entity in the process of a national “roll up” of cancer treatment centers
- Representing one of the country’s largest ASC management companies on the re-syndication of a large number of its existing ASC partnerships
- Representing several of the country’s largest ASC management companies, including USPI, in resolving payer disputes involving multiple ASC partnerships in their portfolios
- Representing one of the country’s largest publically traded ASC management companies on its negotiations with a large health care system on a joint venture covering the development and operation of ASC’s throughout northern California
- Representing a large healthcare REIT on acquiring a hospital for $50,000,000 from HUD in a public auction
Lorin has served on the Board of two national ASC management companies and was named as one of Virginia's best "Health Law" attorneys by Virginia Business Magazine's Legal Elite in 2008 and 2012. Lorin has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2021 in the area of Healthcare Law.
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1987
Brigham Young University, B.A., 1982
- District of Columbia